1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on planning literacy and numeracy

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KarrieGem, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm starting a new job soon as an NQT with Year 1 and could do with some advice re. the above. It probably sounds a bit silly to be unsure about planning literacy and numeracy but I have been unemployed for a while and the previous school I was at as a student teacher used a scheme for Numeracy so although I obviously tweaked and adapted it for the most part it was mapped out for me so I am a bit out of practice at planning from scratch. At my new school I plan the foundation subjects with my year group partner but it seems literacy and numeracy are done seperately and I am a bit worried about making sure I cover everything and what order to do things in, just wondered how everyone gets started with literacy and numeracy planning and how they approach it. Any advice greatly appreciated,

K x

2. Hi,

I'm starting a new job soon as an NQT with Year 1 and could do with some advice re. the above. It probably sounds a bit silly to be unsure about planning literacy and numeracy but I have been unemployed for a while and the previous school I was at as a student teacher used a scheme for Numeracy so although I obviously tweaked and adapted it for the most part it was mapped out for me so I am a bit out of practice at planning from scratch. At my new school I plan the foundation subjects with my year group partner but it seems literacy and numeracy are done seperately and I am a bit worried about making sure I cover everything and what order to do things in, just wondered how everyone gets started with literacy and numeracy planning and how they approach it. Any advice greatly appreciated,

K x

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I should imagine you will have a scheme of work to follow which will give you an idea of the order of areas to cover, then you will plan weekly from that.- if not you should have support or guidance to put one together! Literacy and Numeracy might be planned seperately week by week (perhaps due to streaming?) but year group partners should be covering the same things, differentiated to suit the class.