1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on Numeracy planning for year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KarrieGem, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,
    This may be a bit of a silly question but I would be interested to hear how people plan for Numeracy. I am an NQT and due to start my NQT year with year 1 in just over a week's time. I have been into the school to find out about planning etc but I am concerned about Numeracy planning in particular. Children are set for Numeracy which is something I have not experienced before. I will be having the higher ability. I think the reason I am nervous is that in the school's I have been in before the Numeracy planning has been quite structured (a few schools have used schemes and the others have been quite structured in their planning so that I was told which units to teach when) and this school is quite different.
    I have been told that there are not any long term plans but that instead they prefer that planning is very much in response to what the particular children in need. I think this is actually quite a good thing because it is very child led and means that the lower and higher sets are taught what is appropriate to them rather than both groups just being taught the same thing. However because I have not had this much free rein when it comes to Numeracy before I am quite nervous about it. The current teacher has given me a short list of areas she thinks the children still need to do some work on but I don''t really know where to start. I don''t know what to do first and I'm worried about not covering all the things I should or challenging the children enough (especially as I have the more able children). I would be really grateful for any advice ot just to hear about how people approach their Numeracy planning.
    K x

2. Maths is a subject with very clear and logical progressions. Plan it thoroughly and logically.

What does "child-led" mean? Why is it good? You are the teacher, you lead - should you ever get seriously ill would you want your doctor to put you in charge? -if you ever got arrested would you want to lead your own defence in court?

3. I follow the units in 2 or 3 week blocks. Next week I am due to start D2 and will do this for 3 weeks, up to the Easter holidays.
    I love not having to follow schemes, using my own ideas, making it creative, fun, but there are various schemes there for me to pull ideas from. I teach middle set for maths. I think setting is a very good idea as you can really focus in on what the children need.
    Does the school use APP assessments? Use those to pitch your lessons or to plan to "fill the holes".
    I love year 1 - I hope you settle in and enjoy it too! [​IMG]

4. inq

inq

I plan using the new maths framework blocks, we split the objectives up so that throughout the year we are sure everything is covered in a logical manner using our assessment from when objectives were covered previously to (try to!) ensure understanding and progression. I try to plan as many practical applications of the maths as I can and also include some problem solving. We do do recording in books and on whiteboards too though.
    Child led seems an interesting way forward - does this mean that if children aren't interested in learning the basics of subtraction/ division that you don't do it but focus on the addition and shape work that they enjoy?
    The only statutory document is the National Curriculum so you could just plan from that but I'd be very careful to ensure that everything is covered.

5. Hi K,
    I would be a bit worried about there not being much in the way of long and medium term planning in maths - how can you otherwise ensure that the children cover, and re-visit, all the maths topics that they need to? And, shouldn't all the maths sets being covering the same objectives (albeit differentiated) at the same time?
    Does your school follow the maths framework blocks, in any way?
    As for where to start, you need to just do a bit of assessment on the hoof - you need to find out what the children in your set can actually do in terms of addition, subtraction, understanding of place value, knowledge of related vocab etc etc before you can really start to plan for their needs.

6. Forgot to ask - how many do you have in your set?

7. Thanks for your replies. I probably didn't explain it very well, when I say 'child led' I didn't mean that if children don't want to do something they don't! I just meant that rather than having long term plans that set out which blocks to teach when as I have had before, that instead I am expected to simply plan what is appropriate for my set. There are 2 year 1 classes which are mixed and then split into two sets and I have the higher one (about 30 children). The two sets don't do the same thing as there are significant differences between the two sets in term of abilities. It's just difficult taking over part way through a term as an NQT and not really knowing the children that well. I think I will speak with the current teacher to see what they are doing this week and then try to decide where to start when I then take over.
    K x

8. I would definitely start by assessing - try using the app grids to highlight what they can and can't do (in general, not each child, or it will take ages!). If you are starting new in a class now you will also want to show progress from here on. We use the blocks and units, but spend longer on the areas they are weaker in - such as basic number work. By this point in year one they are recording in books regularly but also doing lots of practical activities too. Top set are doing more recording and bottom set still lots of "talking about maths" activities. We try to plan in lots of investigation work too, they love this and it's good for them to talk about what they are doing.
    HTH

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

She might not have a future plan for you to look at, but there must be a way of you looking at what she has covered so far - either via the children's exercise books, her brief plans, or her rough notes, or whatever. Of course what she had covered may not equate to the children knowing it, but at least you'll know which topics you are doing from fresh, and which have already had some teacher input.
    It doesn't sound like the most helpful of handovers to me.

Good luck!

10. daisymoo

daisymoo New commenter

We have rewritten our planning this year based on our assessment of the children so that we spend more time covering weaker areas and also moving the children on in stronger areas. We have highlighted the yearly overviews from the Lancashire site http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/curriculum/math/index.php?category_id=577 using APP assessments so that we can see what each class needs. From this grid we have produced a medium term plan for a term at a time, so this term I have a week of addition, a week of subtraction, some time spent on counting groups of 2s, 5s and 10s and grouping into 2s, 5s and 10s, money problems, halves and quarters and measuring length and mass using non-standard units.

Good luck!