1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on my lesson plan for interview...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ITbird, Nov 22, 2015.

1. ITbird

ITbird New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have an interview in 2 days time for School Direct at a primary school. My brief is to teach a 20 minute activity of my choice to a group of 6 Year 3 children. As 20 minutes is not long I am choosing to do Maths and making it quite hands on.

I've decided to work on adding and subtracting fractions with the same denominator within one whole (e.g. 5/8 + 1/8 = 6/8). I'd like to use LEGO as I think its highly engaging for children and will hook them from the start. I plan to show the group a 2x4 brick which has 8 studs and tell them that this is 1 whole. I'll then ask if anyone can show me a half using the bricks on the table. I would expect a 2x2 brick with 4 studs for this. I'll repeat for 1/4 and 1/8. Next I thought I'd ask them to find 2/8 and 5/8, hopefully they will choose a 1x2 brick with 2 studs to show me 2/8 and two 2x2 bricks with a 1x1 for 5/8. If anyone cannot recognise this, I will model first then ask them to show me. An example of 1 whole, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 could be left out on the table if anyone needs it.

I then want to move to writing fractions using LEGO again. I will give the children several 1x2 bricks in different colours and ask them to build 1 whole (i.e. 4 bricks) using at least 2 colours. Then I will ask them to write down the fraction of each colour in their tower (i.e. 1/2 blue, 1/4 yellow, 1/4 red). I may at this point ask children to explain their fractions to me and see if anyone recognises that 1/4 and 1/4 are equivalent to 1/2.

Lastly I'd like to add some fractions with the same denominator. Leaving the LEGO on the table for the children to use, I will ask them to add 2/8 and 4/8 and a few more after this.

My question is: do I need a starter activity or will the modelling and 'show me' be enough? Do I explain at the beginning that by the end of the lesson I expect them to recognise 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 of 1 whole and to be able to add fractions with the same denominator then recap this at the end getting them to assess themselves whether they achieved the objective?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Sounds complicated. You say a whole is 8 then change a whole to 4. Will they be able to understand the change?

Are year 3 students learning fractions nowadays? Denominator seems like a big word, will they understand?

You did what I did and planned out objectives etc and its far too much work for a 20 min lesson. They know that you're not a teacher and don't expect L.O (unless they've asked for it, then I'd wonder how much pressure they're going to put on you during the course).
    I asked a question at the beginning and my aim was that the kids would be able to answer it, then did some formative assessment to make sure I knew they knew.

Lego is quite small, what about duplo?