1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on getting to know a new class

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KarrieGem, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am starting a maternity cover post in a few weeks and next week I am having my new class for a couple of days supply. On the first morning 'm thinking about doing some name games to get to know the children and hopefully start learning their names - does anyone have any suggestions of any games etc that would be good? The class is Year 1 by the way,

Thanks in advance,

K x

2. Hi,

I am starting a maternity cover post in a few weeks and next week I am having my new class for a couple of days supply. On the first morning 'm thinking about doing some name games to get to know the children and hopefully start learning their names - does anyone have any suggestions of any games etc that would be good? The class is Year 1 by the way,

Thanks in advance,

K x

3. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Hi Karrie, no ideas as such but just wanted to say good luck and wish youall the best with your new post. I too am beginning my teaching career in April and looking forward to meeting my new classes. Have you read Sue Cowley's "What to expect in your first year of teaching"? It's very handy.

4. Hi
    One I used is for registration; when responding to their name, the children have to think of a food they either like or don't like that begins with the same letter as their name:
    "Good morning Miss Lovely. My name is Connie and I like custard!"
    The children like it and it gives you something to associate that child with - Sam hating semolina etc. The term 'alliteration' may not be familiar to Yr1 but the idea is there :)

Very best of luck (I have just started mat. cover too!)

5. Thanks for the replies, good luck to both of you too. I am getting really nervous now, I feel so unprepared! Also I keep hearing how difficult it is starting your NQT year part way through the year, I just hope it goes well and I do a good job!

K x

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I would start how you mean to go on i.e. working. Kids appreciate structure and routine and they will be keen to please their new teacher so don't be worried. Of course an element of fun is important but when they are half way through the year they are hopefully settled to working mode and I would be reluctant to change this.