1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on doing additional contact time.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by smithfam, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I have a part time permanent instructors contract. My hours of work are 15.6 per week. Uptil this year this has meant 10 hours contact time and 2 hours PPA time. My timetable this year now includes 30 minutes tutoring per week. I have three questions:-
    1. Should I be paid extra for this additional contact time?
    2. Could I be required to do any more contact time with my current contract?
    3. If I am not entitled to extra pay could I ask to have my contract reduced so I dont have to do the tutoring?
    Any help very gratefully received!

2. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I'm confused.
    The post above reads as though:
    * You are paid for 15.6 hours a week
    * You used to work 12 hours a week
    * You get 2 hours PPA, when you are entitled to 1.2 hours
    * You are now being asked to work 12.5 hours a week, and are still maintaining more PPA than you are entitled to.
    Sounds like you are on a pretty good deal to me. What are the other 3.1 hours you are paid for? Apologies if I am reading this wrongly, but on a 15.6 hour contract, you could have up to 14.1 hours contact time (15.6 hours is approx 14.1 hours teaching + 1.41 hours PPA).

3. I am no expert, but I wonder how your "hours of work" are calculated? and whether a concept of being a bit "under hours" in previous years might have occurred.
    I'm part time in a college, but my hours are expressed as a percentage of a full timer... and therefore I am expected to do the appropriate percentage of a full timers contact time... Sometimes people are "lucky" and have a bit less contact time than they should officially get (as do some full timers) - but in another year they might be given more work to do - taking them closer but not over their percentage,
    This probably doesn't help you at all. Sorry.
    Liz

4. If you are employed as an instructor, then I think you are lucky to get PPA time at all.