1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on dealing with a noisy class

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KarrieGem, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I started my NQT year with a Year 1 class a few weeks ago and I am struggling to deal with the level of noise in the class. I have a bell that I ring to gain children's attention but as soon as they go back to work the noise level quickly climbs again. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for keeping the level of noise manageable?
    Thanks in advance,
    K x

2. Hi,
    I started my NQT year with a Year 1 class a few weeks ago and I am struggling to deal with the level of noise in the class. I have a bell that I ring to gain children's attention but as soon as they go back to work the noise level quickly climbs again. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for keeping the level of noise manageable?
    Thanks in advance,
    K x

3. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

I have seen various versions of a "noise-level monitor", where you can move up a scale from an acceptable level of noise to too noisy, with various sanctions if the noise level is too high by a certain time in the lesson.
    Also, you could try putting on some soothing music, I always say if I can't hear the music the level of noise is too high.
    Don't forget positive praise!! [​IMG]
    Terri

4. I had a similar problem with my NQT class, they were year 4. I tried lots of gimmics to keep them quiet...! What worked for me in the end was to let them earn their golden time based on the noise in the classroom.I also linked this to team work as i encouraged them to advise each other when they were being to noisey as it was always a team effort to earn the golden time. For year 1 perhaps link it to some choosing time at the end of each day rather than golden time at the end of the week? Make a big deal out of what a special treat it will be, perhaps outside or with favourite/special toys/games? The best advice i was ever given to is to be very firm with the expectations abd boundaries and never budge on them, no matter what. They will soon learn where they stand with you. Hope this helps x