1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on buying a blender...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by birdstock, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I need to buy a blender that's suitable for making smoothies and soups. I don't want to spend a fortune and don't want it to take up too much room. I was wondering if any of you lovely peeps could recommend one? [​IMG]

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

3. Thanks for your replies! CQ - that one looks perfect! Think I might have to make a purchase [​IMG]

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

They're great fun and convenient to wash up but every time I use mine the cooker and the dog and I get smothered in dinner. Mrs modelmaker has taken to hiding it.

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

LOL- How on earth do you manage that? I can't say I've had that problem. Do youlift it out of the pan while pressinghe button or something? I just hold it close to the bottom of the pan and swirl it about and I've never had any bother. For smaller quantities eg whizzing a can of plum tomatoes to make cheapskates "Passata", I put the contents into a measuring jug and blitz.

6. I've done the carrot and corriander splatter painting as well - adds to the comedy if you get it all over your specs!

7. I have never had an accident with my handheld blender.
    Don't remind me of the time I was making butternut squash soup and forgot to put the lid on my other blender though - lurrrrrrrrvely pattern on the kitchen wall [​IMG]

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I love my stick blender for soup making and not managed to splatter it everywhere yet!!
    Sorry to hijack the thread but quick question for fellow stick blender users:
    I have some lovely new expensive saucepans and am a bit worried about using my stick blender in them like I did with my old ones in case it scratches off the non-stick stuff - can it do this or am I being paranoid as blade is sort of 'encased'??

9. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I've always used mine directly in my pans- they are all decentish ones- and I've never damaged them. TBH, it hadn't ever crossed my mind that it might. Just checked, though, and they are fine, incl my big stock pot which sees a fair amount of blending action!

10. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Good good! I didn't think it would...but I am a bit precious about them as not only are they anodised BUT they are enamelled purple on the outside :D

11. I have knocked and bullied my pots for so many years - apart from one frying pan which I totally killed (a cheapo one which was designed to fry one egg and die) - they have all been very forgiving.