1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ADVICE NEEDED ON ASSESSMENT!!!

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by TOWNSON, Oct 4, 2015.

1. misterhall

misterhall New commenter

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Sorry have not looked at your link but AFL research has always promoted self / peer assessment as bring fundamental to children becoming better learners.It is not a new concept. Many schools though are unwilling to put the time / effort into ' training ' staff and students in how to get the best out of these strategies as they are too preoccupied ( and I understand why ) ' planning for coverage' rather than 'planning for learning'

3. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

DO NOT USE SHEFFIELD STAT WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE. Horrible work intensive system which is breaking the backs of teachers in my school. Michael1979, do you have any advice, since I'm trying to argue that we should get rid of it as it is complicated, obtuse and restricts teaching (in order to evidence all the statements).

4. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

I feel for you, EvilAsh.
    I always recommend this article by Dylan Wiliam - notably an Assessment expert, I'm sure your SLT would agree - in which he points out that you need to be rationale about how much you assess

http://www.teachprimary.com/learning_resources/view/planning-assessment-without-levels
    Also, look at the Assessment Commission report which advises against recording too much formative assessment, since it is hardly likely to be beneficial.

minnie me likes this.
  5. geoff1954

geoff1954 New commenter

There is a fundamental problem with all summative assessment in schools: the really important aims of education cannot be assessed, certainly not in a manner that leads to a numerical labelling. What are schools trying to do? Encourage a lifetime love of learning. Provoke enthusiasm. Provoke a questioning approach. Challenge bigotry. Encourage an awareness of the needs of others. Encourage academic excellence. Provoke a lifetime love of the arts. (I'm sure everyone could draw up their own list. The important thing is that the list is not a series of facts to be learned, at least, not just that.) So all formative assessment ends up assessing the wrong things. And once teachers and schools are judged by the results the problem becomes much greater.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Do you mean 'promote ?'

7. Rov1984

Rov1984 New commenter

We are using a great assessment system. It was all pretty much ready to go all we did was tweak our lesson objectives to fit, otherwise there is very little effort to implement it. The best thing about it is all the data it produces for those dreaded SLT meetings! Try www.idealscience.co.uk I think it cost £200 which is nothing for a pretty complete system. It's not perfect but OFSTED loved it when they paid us a visit so I'm happy.

8. Shaykhspeare

Shaykhspeare New commenter

I'm a qualified English teacher but have been self-employed and working outside the state sector for many years. Last year I was travelling for most of the academic year (2015-16) so I'm a little out of the loop. I have been researching AfL lately and updating myself about assessment without levels. Assessmentwithoutlevels.com announced 'innovation winners' to schools who had developed their own systems, e.g. Trinity Academy and their Mastery Assessment. This website and even webpages on tes itself link refer the reader to TES: "The assessment system resources are available on the TES website at http://community.tes.co.uk/national_curriculum_2014/b/assessment_without_levels/default.aspx." This link does not work - neither does any link referring to such resources on TES. And I notice that many of these announcements were in 2014 and nothing recently. Have I missed something? Where can I get these free resources? Link to what I was reading: http://assessmentwithoutlevels.com/updated-summary-assessment-innovation-fund-winners/

9. TeachingTerry

TeachingTerry New commenter

10. kellygleed

kellygleed New commenter

I know the person who originally wrote this has probably chosen their way of assessing children by now, but I started a similar topic and didn't get any responses last month.

Has anybody got any advice for an assessment software we could purchase in my school? I've heard mixed reviews about some. What are your experiences of Classroom Monitor, Pupil Asset and Target Tracker? Or any others you want to throw into the mix.

Many thanks

Kelly