1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed not sure if language used by supply teacher is offensive?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Spice0012, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Hi everyone we had a supply Teacher in today and in a jokely humour manner she called the nursery TA a G O N K as she thought it was thursday and was getting the children ready for PE. Is that word offensive as I have never heard it before?
    Both myself and the reception TA looked shocked she commented she'd used that word in interviews to describe herself as it meant dippy?
    Just wondering because not sure if it is appropriate language around children or infront of headteacher in an interview?
    Would any headteacher employ someone using such words?

2. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Hi everyone we had a supply Teacher in today and in a jokely humour manner she called the nursery TA a G O N K as she thought it was thursday and was getting the children ready for PE. Is that word offensive as I have never heard it before?
    Both myself and the reception TA looked shocked she commented she'd used that word in interviews to describe herself as it meant dippy?
    Just wondering because not sure if it is appropriate language around children or infront of headteacher in an interview?
    Would any headteacher employ someone using such words?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

4. Gonk actually means hypersensitive busy body who has got nothing better to do the pretend they are worried about something extremely trivial for example pondering whether the word GONK is a serious term of abuse.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

(Holds head in hands.) Who is asking this? What kind of a gonk are you?