1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed - next steps and planning table activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by spanbo, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi I'm hoping for some advice.We have just come through Ofsted.Two of the main areas of development where planning the children's next steps in their learning and making sure that the table activities are suitable and that the children are learning. Does anyone have any advice about how they plan and record the children's next steps and how to make the children aware of these. Also how do people plan the activities and how is it recorded!!
    I would be most grateful for any ideas
    Thanks!!

2. Hi I'm hoping for some advice.We have just come through Ofsted.Two of the main areas of development where planning the children's next steps in their learning and making sure that the table activities are suitable and that the children are learning. Does anyone have any advice about how they plan and record the children's next steps and how to make the children aware of these. Also how do people plan the activities and how is it recorded!!
    I would be most grateful for any ideas
    Thanks!!

3. Really good post and I'd love to hear what others do. Also please tell me about your OFSTED experience we're due one soon, what things were they interested in, what they liked? etc.
    I basically keep a sheet of paper with me that I carry around for the week, its got headings Interests observed/extension activities, I just note down childrens interests and how I can extend them. Then when it comes to my planning, I refer back to my notes and have a seperate heading on my planning for childrens interests/extension ideas. I also have space on my planning for activities which will develop/extend children.
    Obviously my observations/next steps are taken into account too. Still feel like its not enough though :(

4. Hey sorry it's taken me a while to reply!! It was my first OFSTED and not an experience I want to repeat for a while. We were picked up on our planning which was to vague and not individual enough they were also very keen to see how we were extending our higher ability children. Next steps was a huge focus and how all teaching and table activities fed into it!!! They liked our wide range of resources but did find them very focussed on a few things. We spent a long time on making our classrooms look good and should have spent longer focussing on our planing etc.
    Hope this helps.

5. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Hi
    I am trying to build more evidence of children's interests into my planning, and don't at the moment record their interests, other than on individual observations. Would you be willing to share your feeder format?
    Thanks xx

6. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Thanks for the link xx

7. Yes, great link. I have been looking at the blog and some lovely ideas there. Thank you.

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I've been using abcdoes as well this term very sucessfully. Make sure your obs in their learning journeys have next steps too. This is my next area for development as so far it is only my long obs that have next steps and having seen another schools recently, think I need to write more.

9. But this is just more bureaucracy. Again we are not being trusted. On this occasion we are not trusted to know what to do next with children and just to get on with it.
    In fact, what we do next arises perfectly naturally from our interactions with children and if we weren't so preoccupied writing down what we saw we could actually take the child along routes to next steps there and then, at the point of observation. Additionally, if children are getting opportunities for genuine CI play they take their own next steps anyway. We just provide the resources. It's pretty meaningless to add a 'next step' to a post it note when
    chances are you won't be there to deliver it, but watching someone else
    in another part of the room. We can only really control the next steps through focus activities and through intervention in play. In the first case they are planned, in a fairly general way, into the focus activity and in the second they ideally take place immediately. And in the case of the focus activity it would be well nigh impossible to analyse and write down next steps for each child who would be involved, and much more sensible to respond at the time to what is needed and appropriate (not always easy to predict anyway).
    Sorry if I seem negative, you evidently have enthusiasm for this 'area for development', but I think we should take stock of what is practical and what works best. Writing everything down in triplicate so often gets in the way of genuinely reflective teaching.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Totally agree thumbie, but we are over due ofsted so I'm playing the game! Have no intention of going into so much detail once they have gone. Have heard of more than one school locally that have had to address this issue after ofsted. I didnt say I was enthusiastic, my planning would consist of a web diagram for med term plans and an activity overview for short term if I had my way and I would never have to write a focus plan to state the bleeding obvious ever again. Unfortunately I live in the real world where bureaucracy and lack of trust rules!