1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed .. motivating students who 'can't and won't'!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by steflovesandy85, May 9, 2018.

1. steflovesandy85

steflovesandy85 New commenter

Hey there,

I'm currently training in an SEN school and would like some new strategies on how to motivate my students. I teach Art to a year 10 group. Today I gave them a task which I thought was adequately pitched to their capabilities, but two of my students in particular refrain from attempting anything in the least bit challenging. I want to stretch them, and coax them out of their comfort zone, but all I get is complaining that they can't do it - when I have seen previous work using the same material, and so know that it is not completely beyond them. Try as I might to encourage, and stress the benefits of 'resilience' etc, I failed to get these children to persevere. I explained that there will be many challenges not just in school but throughout their lives, and that taking on a challenge will every now and then will reap long term rewards. They only see the short - term pain of it all! Maybe it is in part down to me, and that I do struggle occasionally with differentiation. It's very much a trial and error experience for me at the moment because my students are quite inconsistent with regards to the quality of their work. I don't want to discourage my learners, but I also don't want to undersell them by giving them work that they find too easy either! ( they also moan. )

I'd like to hear from those who experience this too, so I know I am not alone!

Thanks in advance for your responses.