1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed- HT wants me to change from class teacher to PPa cover????!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jmb, May 11, 2010.

1. jmb

jmb

My head teacher is just sorting out where we will be teaching next year. She came to me this morning and asked me to change roles in September to become PPA cover for 3 days a week and to do 1:1 support for the other 2 days (I am full time class teacher at the moment on permanent contract) She wanted an answer by 4.30 but I have asked for more time!! I do have experience across KS1 and KS2 but have just spent a year in year 1 after being in KS2 for 5 years. I was hoping to spend at least 1 more year in yr 1. She has a habit of changing people's rooms every year already and last year she moved me from yr 6 to yr 1 and my colleague from FS to Y5 with no experience at KS2. She implied that I can't really say no, and my contract is still the same - what would other people do? what questions wold you ask? Thanks for any support

2. I think you need to be sure your contract is not threatened. PPA, glad your school is using qualified teachers, but what about a few years time? 1:1, money flowing like water right now, but what of the impending savage cuts promised? If either or both of these positions are cut in the next year or two, will you be ensured of a return to class teaching, or will you be made redundant?

3. Personally, I'd quite like that as it would be a change but see your point about having only had 1 year in KS1 (I moved to KS1 after 10 years in KS2 and have really benefitted from consolidating my practise this year.
    My major concern would be the 1:1 work. Who with? Why? What would you be teaching them?
    I think your head is right about you ultimately having no reall say in the matter - you are employed as a teacher and they decide where you 'teach'!

4. This is true but I also agree with shalteir about the redundancy risk. I think the OP needs to go to her union re: higher risk of redundancy - it needs to be established that if there were redundancies the OP would be no more at risk than other teaching staff.

5. jmb

jmb

My major concern would be the 1:1 work. Who with? Why? What would you be teaching them?

It would be with those children who are not making enough progress in Literacy and Numeracy. I would have them once a week for an hour to work on what they need to do.

Thanks for your comments

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My concern would be the career implications. If you wanted to go back to 'real' class teaching later would this stand in your way? What if you wanted promotion?
    Who is planning the PPA and tutoring work? How can you plan when you don't have them all week? Will you be left with all the naff stuff to teach? Will you end up with loads of marking that must be done before you leave?
    I'd definitely want to say no absolutely not. I am a classteacher and that is what is in my job description!

7. My advice? Resist! The two PPA teachers in my school have just been given the push & replaced by newly appointed HLTAs.

8. jmb

jmb

Thanks guys these comments are all so useful for me to go back to the head to check on.
    The person that does my PPA at the moment and also that of much of the school is leaving and also advises me that she would say no.
    When I said to the head "what if I said no?"
    She said that she would then have to look into other ways (but in her tone meant that the other alternatives would involve me still changing somehow)
    She was trying to sell the idea in her "estate agent speak" by saying that I would have less marking and planning- but I don't see how after all these previous comments have pointed out.
    It would actually be more planning to go into lots of classes.

9. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

No, no, no-I would really hate that. The last three teachers in our school who have been moved from the classroom to PPA cover have all left because it was so awful. They hated not having their own base, hated trying to control difficult Y5/6 classes for one morning a week who treated them like dirt (this is a 'challenging school', but none of these teachers ever had behaviour issues with their own classes) and came to dread having certain classes who were 'fine' for their normal teacher.

Yes, there 'may' be less planning and marking, however in our school, the PPA cover plans and marks the books and has to do this perched in the staff room because there's nowhere else to be and the class teachers don't want the books to go home.

I don't know how much say you'd get in this as I suppose you would still be a 'class teacher', but if I were in your position-I would fight tooth and nail to avoid it. As others have mentioned, the risk of redundancy and what happens if the 1:1 funding dries up would worry me, too.

A real toughie. Good luck and let us know what happens...

10. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Not having your own base as mentioned would be a problem.Don't forget too that as you are a full time teacher you too are entitled to 10% PPA time !!

11. This answer is going to be blunt for which I apologise, however I think you should think about it. In all schools I've been on SMT for people have been asked to do PPA cover, instead of class teaching, because, for whatever reason, we've wanted them out of the classroom. The reason is normally that we don't think they're a good teacher. If I were you, I'd accept it (because you actually can't say no) and start looking for other work as soon as possible. I would be concerned about an application from someone who had been shifted to doing PPA cover / 1:1 instead of whole class so you need to make sure you're making a really good and measurable impact with what work you do so that in an application / interview you can prove that you're a good teacher. I'm sorry for being negative in this post, I really am hoping to save you distress later down the line.

12. jmb

jmb

I actually asked outright "is this because you think I'm not good enough in the classroom?" an she said that no I've got many good skills and she wants to use my experience and expertise across the key stages.
    But I can see how it would look to others especially parents!

13. Devils' advocate - would you really expect her to say 'yes, we do think that'? I can bet you won't be teaching literacy or maths anymore (aside from your maths and literacy 1:1 which is different from whole class teaching.) and this is going to make it hard for you to get another job somewhere else

We moved someone to PPA who was a goodish teacher but really not good at planning, pulling his weight in a team, using new things like APP, teaching approaches etc. I like the man a great deal, the children love him but he just wasn't cutting it as a whole class teacher anymore. He retires in a few years time so we weren't ruining his career - but I still maintain that it's a vote of no confidence to someone mid career, if that's what you are.

I just don't want to see anyone be naive about this and possibly find themselves in a bad situation a few years down the line. I'd get records of previous lesson obs, performance management, anything which shows they think you're a good whole class teacher and keep hold of it while looking for other jobs.

Why would a HT, with all the pressure on getting good literacy and numeracy results, take a good teacher out of class?

14. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Reading these posts are a bit concerning, as I have just applied to a school who are looking for both a class teacher and a PPA teacher. I have said on the application that I would be open to either position, but from the comments here it seems as if it might be career suicide!
    I am just finishing my second year of teaching and thought that a PPA job might provide me with some experience of all year groups and that, subsequently, i would have a better grounding in the future.

15. inq

inq

The difference, I suppose, being that you are applying to do this job to get experience, not being taken out of class to do it so it might be viewed differently. (Not that I'm implying that OP isn't an excellent teacher.)

16. I would want to ask the question, " Why isn't the school replacing the exiting ppa teacher through advertising the ppa/!:1 job?

17. Having changed from class teacher to ppa , I'd say don't do it.

It's horrible.

They don't behave as well as they did for me when I was a yr 6 teacher - I seem to be of no consequence now.

I hate not having a classroom, with all the resources I had gathered over the years ready to hand.

Really not loving teaching as much at all - and I used to be devoted! Passionate about it. No pleasure now!

18. I agree entirely with Gertie Grumbles. Written my exact post! I'm doing PPA cover now after having been class teacher before maternity leave. Can't wait to be class teacher again in September. Hate it, hate it, hate it. As Gertie said, absolutely no pleasure. I never realised how totally utterly important your relationship with your class is. Impossible to build any relationship / routine / understanding when teaching different classes all the time. After never having any behaviour problems even with the hardest classes I'm now ignored and smirked at - even though I've been at the school for a few years and am not a 'random' cover teacher. Everytime I plan something I get asked to do something different, and also hate not having any base. I have a small box in corner of staffroom in which to dump everything. I was sold it as a nice smooth transition back to work and less planning (true) but that doesn't compensate. It really is rubbish and a real confidence knock. Don't accept!!!!! xx

19. Just been reading all the posts on this subject and it makes me feel a lot better about the PPA cover (that's Pain, Punishment and Aggravation) that I do. Was a class teacher until 3 years ago when the numbers dropped and we went from 4 classes down to 3 in key stage 2. As I was on a temp contract due to having been part time initially after mat leave I was the unlucky one and lost my class. Was offered PPA and the SENCo job (the previous PPA/SENCo retired). Would not advise anyone to do PPA if they can possibly help it. It stinks. Until reading the thread I thought I was the only PPA teacher where children who I had previously taught full time suddenly started misbehaving on 'my' afternoons. The honourable exception to this is Y6 who I teach a lot more frequently during the year, as well as taking them away on their residential (so we do have a better relationship and they have to get on my good side or else). My plans get dropped at the last minute, whole groups of teaching assistants are suddenly whisked away to do important work somewhere else, teachers lock their desks (thereby imprisoning the laptop/gluesticks/keys) and you seem to get twice as much playground duty as anyone else. The best bit is when you talk to parents about something that has happened during your afternoon and they say they want to talk to the 'proper teacher'. This is after 17 years at the School!!!!

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Ss a supply who covers lotsof PPA time i would advise anyone to avoid it.....for all the thigs saidon here and for the fact you are always on the run. Books have to be marked and work set, and often you get dumped on with subject they dont like to do.
    Yuo have little standing i the staff room, and they moan if you are late/
    I do it as a supply and have done it on short term contract....but i must prefer to take a class for the day to PPA work!