1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed - giving of birthday cards

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by the_mummy, May 23, 2011.

1. I am in my first year of teaching and have given birthday cards as and when i became aware of pupils I teach having birthdays. I also gave out xmas cards. Is this a 'safe' thing to do and what rules have or could i break.

2. I am in my first year of teaching and have given birthday cards as and when i became aware of pupils I teach having birthdays. I also gave out xmas cards. Is this a 'safe' thing to do and what rules have or could i break.

3. erp77

erp77 New commenter

They are your pupils, not your friends so why would you give out birthday cards?
    And what if you forgot someone? How would they feel being missed out?
    I just wouldn't bother tbh

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

i don't do birthday cards. I would never ever remember every single one and would feel awful at missing one.

Christmas cards and pressies though, absolutely.

5. When I taught in the primary sector I used to always give out Xmas cards - it's a nice festive gesture. Birthdays I tackled a little differently. On the first day(ish) of the new school year I would give out card and let all the children make a birthday card. They can write something generic inside - Happy Birthday from all your friends in ClassX. I then kept the birthday cards in a fancy box. I had a chart on the wall with everyone's birthday. On their birthday we all sang Happy Birthday and the child chose a card from the box. It seemed to work well. It depends on the age you teach - I can't see Year 10 going for it!

6. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I get a sheet of Happy Birthday stickers from one of those sticker companies and give those out. Also get the class to sing happy birthday.

7. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I'd just do Christmas as what about those children who have a birthday in the holidays?