1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed from HoD's please

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by BuryFCA1, Mar 8, 2011.

1. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

I am 29 years old and in my 4th year as a teacher now in an inner city school in the North West. I like my school and I like my life that I have because I enjoy my work there however I dont feel as if I can progress any further in the school and I am quite ambitious. I dont want to leave the school as I know only too well that the grass is not always greener. My Head of Dept is Mrs K and she has recently been off for 4 months with stress and has now returned with a vengeance however....
    Mrs K will not take charge of the subject exams as she is nervous of being in the hall with over 100 kids so muggins here ends up doing it.
    Mrs K does not offer any help to a supply teacher in our dept and muggins here offers all the help and support .
    I want to improve my teaching and learning however Mrs K constantly refuses to let me observe her as she 'does not like having adults in her room'.
    Mrs K is also now taking pupils out of mine and other teachers of our subject's lessons and asking the pupils if they like me and the other teachers and if they like their lessons. All this after having 4 months off and leaving me carrying the can in her absence (yes, I attended all the Head of Dept meeting and ran the dept in Mrs K's absence - with no thanks!)
    Last year I produced the best GCSE results in our department and I want to progress but feel as if Mrs K is holding me back and using me. My biggest problem is that Mrs K is best friends with the deputy head and is the deputy head's puppet! What do I do...
    1. Go to the Head (who is retiring this summer) behind Mrs K and the deputy heads back and discuss with her that I feel as if Mrs K is holding me back and using me as a dept gopher. But, this could potentially ruin my career at such an early stage as rumour has it that the deputy head who is Mrs K's best friend is due to take over as Head in the summer.
    2. Look for other jobs and dont say a word.
    3. Just sit back and enjoy my life and not worry about it. Take it as a compliment that Mrs K trusts me to do the things I do for her and the dept.

2. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

I am 29 years old and in my 4th year as a teacher now in an inner city school in the North West. I like my school and I like my life that I have because I enjoy my work there however I dont feel as if I can progress any further in the school and I am quite ambitious. I dont want to leave the school as I know only too well that the grass is not always greener. My Head of Dept is Mrs K and she has recently been off for 4 months with stress and has now returned with a vengeance however....
    Mrs K will not take charge of the subject exams as she is nervous of being in the hall with over 100 kids so muggins here ends up doing it.
    Mrs K does not offer any help to a supply teacher in our dept and muggins here offers all the help and support .
    I want to improve my teaching and learning however Mrs K constantly refuses to let me observe her as she 'does not like having adults in her room'.
    Mrs K is also now taking pupils out of mine and other teachers of our subject's lessons and asking the pupils if they like me and the other teachers and if they like their lessons. All this after having 4 months off and leaving me carrying the can in her absence (yes, I attended all the Head of Dept meeting and ran the dept in Mrs K's absence - with no thanks!)
    Last year I produced the best GCSE results in our department and I want to progress but feel as if Mrs K is holding me back and using me. My biggest problem is that Mrs K is best friends with the deputy head and is the deputy head's puppet! What do I do...
    1. Go to the Head (who is retiring this summer) behind Mrs K and the deputy heads back and discuss with her that I feel as if Mrs K is holding me back and using me as a dept gopher. But, this could potentially ruin my career at such an early stage as rumour has it that the deputy head who is Mrs K's best friend is due to take over as Head in the summer.
    2. Look for other jobs and dont say a word.
    3. Just sit back and enjoy my life and not worry about it. Take it as a compliment that Mrs K trusts me to do the things I do for her and the dept.

3. If you want to progress then working at a variety of schools might be useful. Sounds like you are capable of being the HoD as you have been doing this already. It can take 12 -18 months to get a new job so you can probably do 2 & 3 at the same time. Going to talk to the head will not spoil your career and it probably isn't a bad idea to talk to a member of SLT about you would be best to handle the situation, but you should think about what the best outcome for you is - do you want more experience so that you are ready to hit the ground running come a promotion?

4. Sounds like you are already doing lot of HoD type work which is good experience no matter what happens, however I would not go behind "Mrs K's" back. She may not be the best HoD now but may have been very respected in the past and you never know how this might backfire on you in the future - never burn your bridges.
    Think about what's best for you - what have you really got to lose by applying for HoD's posts in other schools? If they really appreciate you at school and see your potential, when they find out that you might be leaving they might decide they need to do more for you. If they don't, then it probably was a right decision, at the right time, to move on.

5. Use all the skills and experience you are acquiring, thanks to Mrs K, to get yourself an amazing CV, shine in interviews and, lucky you, you get to try out the HODs clothes to see if they are comfortable, before buying into the whole package!
    I can understand that you may feel resentful that you are being 'used' & not recognised, but this may come later.

6. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

I really feel for you as I was in a similar situation. Make sure you keep a list of all the extra HoD type responsibilities you have done and I agree with a previous poster about creating a good CV. I did this and when my HoD finally went off with stress then retired, I was made HoD because I had loads of evidence that I had been doing the job for nearly 8 months anyway.
    It sounds like you did a good job in her absence so I'm sure another school would snap you up!