1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice needed from anyone doing GTP or thinking of or who has done a GTP...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Sa21, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Hi Holly,

I have a GTP interview for English on Thursday. I have to teach a class of year 7;s and have 2 interviews. I do not have any previous teaching experience but I stated this on my cv and covering letter and still as short listed. Do you have any advice whatsoever on what they will ask in the interviews or any tips?

Thanks,

Hannah

2. Hi there Ms Cork!
    If you ever get the chance please email me briefly on kokeeffe22@hotmail.com

I just need some general advice really! I've been writing to schools in Brum and London none stop. A school in Brum really wanted me but as my degree was in Politics they couldn't give me the 50+% teaching on the school timetable that the GTP requires. Its all proving really difficult to find a school, and until that happens I can't apply for uni funding or funding from a consortium. Please give me any advice you can???

Also, due to this I'm going to have to concentrate on PGCE apps....do you have any advice regarding this? I know its really competitive and I'm now concerned I've left the apps a bit late? What are your thoughts? I work full time as a night carer and one of my main concerns is that I won't have enough school experience...and yet I know I want to teach, any ideas as to how I should combat this?

many thanks and good luck to you
    Kathleen

3. Hi there,
    If you ever get the chance please email me briefly on kokeeffe22@hotmail.com

I just need some general advice really! I've been writing to schools in Brum and London none stop. A school in Brum really wanted me but as my degree was in Politics they couldn't give me the 50+% teaching on the school timetable that the GTP requires. Its all proving really difficult to find a school, and until that happens I can't apply for uni funding or funding from a consortium. Please give me any advice you can???

Also, due to this I'm going to have to concentrate on PGCE apps....do you have any advice regarding this? I know its really competitive and I'm now concerned I've left the apps a bit late? What are your thoughts? I work full time as a night carer and one of my main concerns is that I won't have enough school experience...and yet I know I want to teach, any ideas as to how I should combat this?

many thanks and good luck to you
    Kathleen

4. jimmegee

jimmegee New commenter

Getting a GTP place IS very hard work and I agree you should find out more about why you were unsuccessful at PGCE. I contacted my local course providers who had lists of local schools they work with, then called round the schools to arrange observations. Don't bang on about wanting to get on the GTP from the get-go: spend a few days in your school, strike up a relationship with the head of faculty (if you can) and then on the last day ask them if they'd be interested in taking you on as a GTP student. Good luck, and remember, you need to persevere to get this but believe me, it's worth it. I'm happily well into my first term at a school I was already quite familiar with from all the observations I did before starting the course.

5. Hello LoobyLouLou,
    I am looking at applying for GTP in early Jan and to start in sept I was wondering if you could possiblly send me some information which would help with my personal statement. I am really struggling at the moment.
    My email address is shabana_sarwar2005@yahoo.com
    Thanks for the advice and help
    Shabana