1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice needed from anyone doing GTP or thinking of or who has done a GTP...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Sa21, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Hello

I am looking at applying for GTP in Feb to start in sept as i have been unsucessful on the PGCE interviews - Does anyone have any advice about how to approach schools? as the college i apply to say it is more favourable to have a supporting school at the interview stage? The teachers that i volunteer with have said they will help me prepare but are unable to support me on a place because of changes to the school

Thanks for any advice!

Sa

2. Hello

I am looking at applying for GTP in Feb to start in sept as i have been unsucessful on the PGCE interviews - Does anyone have any advice about how to approach schools? as the college i apply to say it is more favourable to have a supporting school at the interview stage? The teachers that i volunteer with have said they will help me prepare but are unable to support me on a place because of changes to the school

Thanks for any advice!

Sa

3. I don't want to burst your bubble but compared to PGCE, GTP has far fewer places so is much more competitive in terms of applications. You need to look carefully at any feedback you've had from your PGCE interviews and work to address the weaknesses in your application as it is unlikely that the GTP provider would overlook something that a PGCE provider has rejected you for.

There are a few ways of doing this - 1. Apply for an existing vacancy (usually only an option for those with considerable experience), 2. Write a speculative letter to schools 3. Get a job in a school eg. LSA, TA, technician and build up a relationship with them 4. Volunteer/ask for observation and speak to the school once you get there about your intentions.

At my school (secondary) you would be more successful with option 4 to be honest.

You are much more likely to get a GTP place if you have a school already supporting you if that is the policy at the provider.

4. I would give your GTP application a go! You might not have got onto a pgce for a number of reasons, and with that experience in hand you may write a great application and perform better at a GTP interview. The GTP route may suit you better. I think this is one of the key things you need to prove to a provider from the outset of your application - that you can cope with this approach.

I have a GTP interview upcoming, I'll let you know!

5. LoobyLouLou

LoobyLouLou New commenter

Hi Sa

I started my GTP in September. It was looking rocky for a while as the school where I had volunteered for 5 years could not take me on as you cannot do the GTP where your children are. So...I started volunteering at my GTP school quite late on....January this year. And I got taken on!

So, all I can say to you is persevere. Phone every school you can, e mail them and write to them. Just offer your services as much as you are able. It seems to me that if they see someone willing to give of their time and it is within their means then you have a chance.

It is incredibly competitive and I only got in on my 3rd interview. Just do your best. Main thing is to show your absolute passion for educating children. Both PGCE and GTP are phenomenally competitive...just give your utmost!

Best of luck

LoobyLouLou

xxx

6. The schoool I work at can't support a GTP either. The partnership I applied to don't require applicants to have found a supporting school first which I think is lucky. Apparently, after being selected from interview, they send the applications to interested schools. I guess this means a second round of selection though.

To be honest I haven't really thought about what I'll do if I don't get on to the GTP, I can't really afford to do the PGCE. I doubt I'll be able to just keep trying year after year of that's what it comes to! Trying not to think that far ahead though, I must have done something right to get to interview!

7. Thanks for everyones advice - good luck Sheffgirl with the interview!!!

I am defintley going to try apply for the GTP - i need practice with intreview though because i dont think i sold myself properly for the PGCE interview as they said i had lots of great experience but did not reflect on it enough!! and was not up to date on current issues so i no having the TES delievered!! I know this route is def more for me as nursery nurse i prefer to be with the children!

i think i shall write to some schools and hopefully hear something from them - il have to have a think about what i am going to write in it.

Where are you all applying mine is Bradford?

Sa

8. good luck to you sheffgirl.!!!

I'm assuming you're going for secondary as primary only do a Sept intake? Let us know how it goes!

I've just applied for GTP after successfully getting a place on a PGCE. You're situation is exactly the same as mine. I desparately want to do a GTP as the PGCE will cripple me. I'd need a serious loan to take me through it, plus I have a great school lined up who have a great Ofsted report, a great head and have already put two people through a GTP recently (one of which would be my mentor if I got a place).

I don't even want to consider not getting a place, but I won't find out if I've been shortlisted until 2nd week of Feb. AAGGGHHHHHH

9. All of you that have interviews soon, please let us know how they went!!

My deadline is on the 19th April so I still have plenty of time to get my application in. I do worry though because it seems so late in the year...

10. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I" don't want to burst your bubble but compared to PGCE, GTP has far fewer places so is much more competitive in terms of applications. You need to look carefully at any feedback you've had from your PGCE interviews and work to address the weaknesses in your application as it is unlikely that the GTP provider would overlook something that a PGCE provider has rejected you for."

That's not necessarily true. I was rejected from a PGCE course but got a place easily on the GTP course. This was for three reasons:

1) The interviewer for the PGCE was really rather horrid and inhuman in the interview.

2) She visibly favoured students who had previously done a first degree at the university.

3) The PGCE providers did not like the amount of previous teaching experience I had, though they would not explicitly say this. I was an unqualified teacher for 6 years before training, and this was favoured by the GTP, but not liked at all by the PGCE crowd.

You may be better suited to an employment based route into teaching- just because you didn't get into a uni to do a PGCE does not mean you cannot get onto GTP or SCITT ITT. GTP suits people with lots of classroom experience- in your application you must play this up.

Good luck and I hope you're accepted by a GTP. :)

11. Hi all!
    Good luck in all your interviews!
    I have my GTP interview on Thursday 22nd January. Needless today, I am extremely nervous and worrying myself silly.
    I am applying for English at Secondary School through the University of Wolverhampton.
    For those of you who ARE on the GTP already, do you think I'm at a disadvantage that I only have 8 weeks of teaching experience? I did a programme called SAS, a TA initiative to get undergraduates/graduates into schools for some introductory exeperience. It was a great experience and I got some great feedback. However I don't have 'lots of classroom experience' in terms of length of time spent in a school? Any thoughts?
    Also, I am told to allow 2.5 hours for the interview, a portion being a 'written task'. Can anyone tell me about their experiences of the 'task' part of the interviews?
    Thanks in advance guys
    : )

12. hi Holkeo.

I'm just doing the SAS now in the hope it will be enough. With the SAS and my other time in school I will have only had 5-6 weeks. I don't think it's a major problem. True, we will be up against some who work full time in a school and have done foundation degrees part time but as long as we are able to reflect on the teaching styles well and do a good interview we've got every chance [​IMG]

good luck and let us know how it goes!

13. hi Holkeo.

I'm just doing the SAS now in the hope it will be enough. With the SAS and my other time in school I will have only had 5-6 weeks. I don't think it's a major problem. True, we will be up against some who work full time in a school and have done foundation degrees part time but as long as we are able to reflect on the teaching styles well and do a good interview we've got every chance [​IMG]

good luck and let us know how it goes!

14. Hello,

I also have an interview on the 20th Jan and i am also very nervous.

I know that the more experience you have the more it helps. I believe that the minimum experience providers look at is around 6 weeks. The experience you have seems to be positive so confidence is the key i guess. I always seem good at giving advice but never taking it on board myself.

I wish you the very best of luck ;)

15. Good Luck to all those that have interviews!!!

Dont worry too much about not ahving enough experience your enthusiasm and other skilss will get you through.

I completed my GTP last year and am now on my NQT year. I had NO PREVIOUS SCHOOL experience at all in fact I'd visited 2 schools for an afternoon that was it. So if I can get on the GTP pass it and now be an NQT THERE IS HOPE FOR ALL!! (oops caps lock!)

GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know how it went!

16. I'm also applying for a GTP to start in September. Does anyone happen to know of any EBITT providers that offer GTP in Chinese in the London area? Proving a bit of a logistical nightmare to try and line up (a) a school that offers Chinese, (b) a school that also offers GTP (c) an EBITT with partnership schools in areas where these schools are that offer this MFL.

Any help/advice/experience would be wonderful.

17. LoobyLouLou

LoobyLouLou New commenter

For those about to be interviewed at Wolverhampton.

I had an interview there last year and failed to get on. I was told I didnt have an indepth enough knowledge of NC and ECM. The chap who interviewed me gave me a couple of openers and let me talk for ages. He gave me positive feedback immediately, but did warn me about it being so competitive and that my experience may well not be enough ( I had only volunteered at this stage!)

He said really I needed paid experience in school to get the additional knowledge.

Do not be disheartened by this. Just find out everything you possibly can that is going on currently!

All the best

Looby

xxx

18. I did a GTP last year and having read some of the posts here I thought I should share my own experiences.

I initially enquired about doing a GTP before I applied to do a PGCE . I was told by a number of schools in the area where I was living at the time that there was no chance for me getting on a GTP (I wanted to do PE). I then focused on getting a PGCE and as others on here I got turned down by all Universities that I applied to. I spent a lot of time using various contacts in order to get some experience in schools and I eventually got a school. The first day I spent at this school I enquired about doing a GTP, and when I left two weeks later I had myself a school!!

The whole experience of finding a school to do a GTP can be difficult. Some universities have a list of schools who continuously take on GTP's. I know people who have written letters etc to lots of schools within their county to enquire about GTP. Some success was derived from these. It is matter of persevering, writing speculative letters, thinking of people who you know who could get you into a school etc.

Getting onto a GTP is very competitive and I had been told this by the University that I applied to do my GTP. I just put everything into my whole interview proess (a numeracy and literacy test, a presentation, an interview) and was successful.

I feel that I had the last laugh over Universities who did not take me on to do a PGCE. I ended up getting a first in my degree and won student of the year, and my GTP year was graded 1 according to Ofsted.

The GTP was the best route for me as I was a mature student. It is a more complete year and in my experience I was always treated by staff and students as a 'teacher' not a 'trainee' or 'student' teacher.

Good luck to everyone who has interviews for the GTP. It is not all about how much experience you have. It is more about you as person. Feedback from my inteview was that the interviewers could see that I had the qualities and skills to deal with everything that I was going to experience during my GTP year...and they were right!

[​IMG]

19. Hello All,

Im doing the GTP at the mo in Music and I can tell you it will be the hardest year of your life. Im not a stranger to hard work but comp#aring the GTP to the PGCE and the same in Ireland, the GTP is more intensive, It requires more paper woprk and more hands-on work.For this reason I think the GTP is better than the PGCE. Yes its a harder course but I know PGCE students at the mo and they only get 12 weeks experience in a school!Thats is not enough- they were just getting to know their class and then they were finished (and this is worse if you work on a two week timetable and if you teach a class once a fornight so it means you get to se you class 6 times-which is definitely not enough time!)

The gtp is very competitive but I think thats neccessary as the money is excellent and the smaller the "class" of GTP'S, the more time you have to explore school issues eg AFL etc. It is probably more important to have xperience working in a school before- any interaction with schools etc is looked upon like you have gone to the effort. I had a years experience working in primary and secondary schools and had a school waiting to accept me if I got a place on the GTP programme.

I think the latter is very important to do!!Also the interview usually last a full day- the written task wasn't given to me or any of my fellow GTP's. I think they really only ask you to do that if there is a huge number of applicants.

If you are serious about the GTP, understand that the nearer you get to London the more competitive it gts so apply everywhere! Its only a year, a hard year, but I cannot fault the support and teaching from my school and GTP organisation. They are unbelievable to me and the support is excellent!

Anyother questions feel free to add me as a friend and email me!

Ms Cork

20. Just to let you all know, I got offered the place on the GTP. I found out at the end of the interview!!!
    If anyone would like any advice, or to know what happened in my interview, let me know!

Holly