1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed- Forthcoming Ofsted in EYFS

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Rae*, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Hi, can anyone help? Inspections in our borough are running on time so we are due in the next couple of months and I'm hoping for some advice from anyone who has recently been inspected by OFSTED and works within EYFS. I'm new to EYs and am worried about the safeguarding part of the inspection in terms of being caught out for not having all the correct paper work and boxes ticked. I'm confident that the children in our Nursery are safe and well cared for, they are happy, we have good working relationships with parents and we know our children well. I have a fear though of being asked for something I should have but don't, for example on another thread in this section I've seen that we should have weekly and daily risk assessments which as far as I am aware isn't something that we have ever had.
    Any heads up on what to expect would be really gratefully received. We are a Nursery which is part of a Primary School so sometimes I feel there is a blurring between what is covered by the main school in terms of safeguarding and what we maybe should have for ourselves.
    Thanks in advance.

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You need an EYFS safeguarding policy (it can say the same as the school one but needs a separate titile), you need a weekly risk assessment for indoors and out (a sensible ticklist will suffice just to show you've thought of any risks) with a more detailed termly one, a late collection of children policy, a lost children policy and a children missing from education policy (all available for parents to see) parents need to know who their child's key worker is, usual safeguarding procedures apply with SCR and CRB checks (this is the head teacher's responsibility). You must ensure that your ratios are right at all times (1:13 with one adult being a fully qualified teacher - unless it is PPA when a fully qualified teacher has to be in the building) Full risk assessments for all trips and visits, signed off by the head (they go through these with a fine toothcomb), you also must have 2 members of staff with a 2 day paediatric 1st aid certificate. You need an administering of medicines policy and a safe place to keep said medicines if you do administer them, also if you have a child with medical needs you must have a care plan in place which is updated annually and at least 2 staff should be trained in administering any emergency medication. It's a while since we were done, but this is what I can remember from off the top of my head.

3. Also, you should have an accident book,head bump letter, a form for incidents/concerns and a form which documents any injuries which children arrive with. Parents should countersign all these. Lone working is unacceptable. You should have a named person for Child Protection, but anyone can raise a concern and should know how.We also have a policy of no camera phones in the nursery. Only the nursery camera is used. We risk assess daily for all areas, we also risk assess activities and equipment. We risk assess these too.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I have to wonder how you have any time to teach.

5. I'm sure OP meant to thank those of you kind enough to offer advice. I wonder if manners were found to be outstanding at the school?

6. she might be dead rather than rude. Don't jump to conclusions. Don't give advice if all you want is gratitude.

7. She might be rude rather than dead...who's jumping to conclusions? Advice given freely, gratitude not needed, but a welcome sign that advice has been read. Feedback is always valuable. Have you any advice for OP?

8. I heard she's taking a well-earned beano to Clacton-on-Sea.

9. I hear Clacton on Sea is an excellent place to be rude in. If you're dead, I don't suppose it matters where you are, providing you are removed reasonably promptly.