1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed for PGCE student

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by clairemorgan1801, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Hi

I am starting my PGCE in september, but i am doing it overseas whilst working full time in a school.

I am wondering whether or not i should buy alot of the books on my reading list or just use the online library that my university gives me access to. This will give me access to books, journals and more.

Can anyone give me any advice on this please.

Good luck to all starting in september.

Going to be a great (but hard) year

2. It depends. Do you enjoy reading online or do you prefer physical books in your hands? My uni gave us a lot of books for free and I bought the key texts that didn't come free. Then, I read the rest online or got them from the uni library. I personally find it can be a strain reading on the computer for a long time and I also love to underline and annotate my books. But I must also mention, I love buying and keeping books. You will find, on teachers' online forums, lots of teachers trying to sell the books they bought while at uni. I have kept mine.

So, I'd recommend you decide whether you like reading online or reading a physical book. And also, do you you intend to keep the books after training or will you no longer want to? And then, you could always join a teachers' forum and buy used books.

All the best!