1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed for NQT with no Reception experience

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by KarrieGem, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone can offer any advice. I am an NQT and have got a job with Year 1 starting later in the year. Before then the school has asked me to do some supply which is mostly with Reception. I have never worked in Reception before. My first day of supply is tomorrow and I am really nervous. I explained that I had never had Reception before and the teacher said she would email me the planning yesterday and that it was self explanatory, but having now looked at the planning today and there are several bits that are blank or I just don't really understand or not sure what the activities referred to are. I don't want the school to think I'm stupid or a bit useless but I've never had Reception before and the planning seems quite vague to me. I really don't want to make a fool of myself but at the moment I feel like it's going to be a bit of a disaster, does anyone have any advice?

K x

2. Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone can offer any advice. I am an NQT and have got a job with Year 1 starting later in the year. Before then the school has asked me to do some supply which is mostly with Reception. I have never worked in Reception before. My first day of supply is tomorrow and I am really nervous. I explained that I had never had Reception before and the teacher said she would email me the planning yesterday and that it was self explanatory, but having now looked at the planning today and there are several bits that are blank or I just don't really understand or not sure what the activities referred to are. I don't want the school to think I'm stupid or a bit useless but I've never had Reception before and the planning seems quite vague to me. I really don't want to make a fool of myself but at the moment I feel like it's going to be a bit of a disaster, does anyone have any advice?

K x

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

First of all, you're fortunate to be in positions of getting to know some of your future class and their families before you start in Yr 1.
    Next, you will need to set aside your pride [though not your workload] and defer to the TA a bit to begin with. She will know the routines. Learn them from her and be appreciative. A good working relationship with the TA will see you through the fiirst weeks while you're getting to know the ropes. She'll understand and, as you're soon to be a permanent member of staff, willhelp you a lot.
    What an adventure!

Good luck.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

oh dear:

in a position

5. Thanks for the advice. I have absolutely no problem deferring to the TA, I am just a bit worried that as I have be able to see planning before hand (which obviously isn't always possible) that I will be expect to have a bit more of a idea what I am doing, which I really don't!

K x