1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed for naughty Year 8 class

Discussion in 'Music' started by lkbc177, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I need some advice please. I have a very naughty Year 8 class who I see twice in one week and then nothing the next week (we have a 2 week timetable). In their first lesson of the week I take them to the Apple MAC room we have and have been teaching them to use Garageband (which they love and respond very well too). During their second lesson they are in the music room but are sooo naughty I can't bear to do practical work with them. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I don't know what to do!!!!
    Thank You [​IMG]

2. Are they naughty during. Practical work, or is it when you are hdoing the explaining parts? I find with year 8 that they are, in fact, quite well behaved and focused when they have an interesting practical task to do which they understand and can manage. Its the actual sitting and explaining that they don't like. You may already do this, so I appologise if I am teaching you to suck eggs however the maxim I was taught was:

Get them in, get on with it, get on with them.

My class does come in until silent. I remind them, as they are standing behind chairs, that people who speak when I or another student is speaking will have certain consequences. We sit down and there is, straight away, a starter task on the board and paper for them to do it on (or whatever they need, I like the wipe clean boards).

I keep talk and explanation to a minimum. They get on to a practical task or a silent witen task. We take a break half way through. We finish by sowing our work and discussion what will happen next to improve. They leave in silence. Anyone with their name on the board leaves last according to how many ticks they got ( ticks are warnings)

It just abonut works. But does sap my energy.

3. Take the computers away. I'm sorry but if a class cannot behave in one situation then you do not reward them with doing the bit they like and then faffing around in the other. When I have a class like this I sit them apart like in an exam, they work in silence on a piece of comprehension. I make the comprehension myself about different musical topics and write 30 quesitons for each article. They answer in full sentences. These tasks keep coming until the entire class learns to behave. If they refuse to do the work, send them to your line manager to do the work, e.g. head of year or time out room. I have had enough of pampering. Get tough on them.
    Test them - give them a practical task, warn them what the consequences will be if they do not behave and complete the task - the computer lesson will be gone and they will do musical comprehension instead. They will not believe that you will actually do it, there will be resistance, but once you do it, I bet it will put them back in their places. If not, just keep doing it. If anyone questions your methods then tell them to come run the music class.
    now I've had a rant, can I suggest that you go to see the class in other lessons too - see if it is a problem in other lessons too, or if it is that they feel they dont have to tow the line as much with you. if it is the latter I hope it gives you the fire in your belly to try doing the comprehension. I've only ever done it twice in the last 3 years. I found it worked extremely well. Rumour got out amongst the kids and they were not keen to experience the same!

4. Harsh, ffion. A true Welsh dragon. Would you come and sort out my classes too, please!

5. Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I will deliberate and make a few decisions. [​IMG]

6. musicismyreligion

musicismyreligion New commenter

I agree with the computers bit, if they don't behave in both classes they dont get the reward. I know it's hard... I have one class I have just had a breakthrough with but its taken an entire term. I have their names on the board and the chairs in the seating plan before they come into the room... They have booklets with a few worksheets, all music sheets&tasks, assessment info etc and that way I can write 'Page 8, key words puzzle' on the board with a reward for the first finished. They have one warning *tick next to the name, then the second warning I get their student planner on my desk. Its a visual reminder that they have no more chances and I will write a sanction in the next time they are talking or misbehaving.
    For the first few weeks it was a nightmare and I gave out sanctions left right and centre but now, touch wood, they just keep getting better and better.

Good luck, I know its so hard!!