1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed for literary devices

Discussion in 'Teaching & Learning' started by lingjiewang, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Hi all,

I am helping my Year 4 son with reading comprehension questions. There are always questions regarding language techniques/devices. The most confusing one we found is regarding metaphor.

Is the following one a metaphor or hyperbole? 'My heart froze'.

Many thanks for your help!

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

A metaphor is compares two things that aren’t alike but share similar characteristics e.g. her tears were a river flowing down her cheeks

A simile is saying something is like something else e.g. it was as big as a house

A hyperbole is a type of exaggeration to make your point e.g his brain was the size of a pea.

There are lots of others

3. jonnymarr

jonnymarr Occasional commenter

"My heart froze' is a verb used as a metaphor. It did not literally freeze - the way the person felt did not cause an actual change in temperature in that person's heart. It only froze metaphorically. That's a linguistic device / a writer's tool / an image to show the reader how they felt. There are different types of metaphor. This one happens to be a verb.

It is not an example of exaggeration (hyperbole) such as 'I've told you millions of times not to....' = they have told you many times, but not a million = exaggeration of something that's already on the same scale.

Freezing is not actually what hearts do when you're scared etc ( unless you put them in a freezer and I don't think they include that type of example for Y4s! )

Perhpas try this