1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed for a very rusty job applicant!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by parenchyma, Sep 11, 2020.

1. parenchyma

parenchyma New commenter

Any advice would be very welcome. I have not applied for a job for 14 years as I was, until recently, happy in a secure position. This has changed suddenly and I am in the process of applying for an exciting role elsewhere. The CV has not been a problem but the required two page accompanying letter has struck fear into my heart! I have the job description and feel I have the relevant experience and qualities but have written nothing like this for such a long time I simply do not know where to begin. All pointers will be very gratefully received.

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

I suugest Theo's book on amazon. She has two Applying for a job and the interview.

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

Google example letters
    Start writing about your experiences in school and what you have done to implement positive changes and why you would be the best candidate for the job - get someone to read it - preferably someone who deals with job applications on a regular basis
    GOOD LUCK

4. parenchyma

parenchyma New commenter

Thank you! Just looking for reassurance really and that was helpful.

5. parenchyma

parenchyma New commenter

Thank you I will look for it - I imagine this will be just the start for me!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Search for Theo Griff.

TheoGriff likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you @agathamorse !

To our poster I'll say that, in addition to Agatha's excellent suggestion, :), I've just written a looooong reply on the thread "I can't get a permanent post"on the Jobseekers Forum.

I think you may find it helpful.

Best wishes

Twitter @Theo_Griff

agathamorse likes this.
  8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Follow the advice as below. You think you have the qualities to do the job, then now, you just need to ‘pen’ this and prove to the recruiting panel at the school you’re applying to that you can be an asset to the school. The fact that you’ve been in your current role for 14 years shows that you are loyal and committed.