1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed - dreading going back to work!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ilovechardonnay, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone
    This is a bit of a long story so I apologise now!
    I am currently on Maternity leave and am going back to work for the final half term. I have been at my current school for 5 years and I love it. I was the Year 6 teacher, Literacy CoOrdinator and Head of KS2. Eighteen months ago we had an AST join us. She is a very good teacher and at first seemed like she was one of the team. However, within weeks of her joining us I found she was undermining anything I introduced for Literacy, she would talk all through my KS2 meetings and would follow rules through with her class (i.e. using specific doors for kids to use at playtimes, lining up at the start of the day etc) which were health and safety issues. At first I ignored, just made reminders when I popped into classes, it but progressively got worse!
    We unexpectedly had a teacher leave and a member of my own family covered for two terms in order to complete their NQT year. During this period I was signed off sick due to severe morning sickness and was in and out of hospital. I understand that when someone is off the Head needs to ask everyone to rally around and keep and eye on things but our AST seems to have read that as 'I must take over and change everything'! When I returned to work I found that she had streamed the year groups (we are only one form entry) and had kept changing the groups around so the other two teachers were very confused and then this had an impact on progress. She had shoved the two students she had been given into the NQT's (my family member) class which was absolutely unacceptable and she had removed all the prearranged topics to ones she wanted to do and the others had to do as they were told! I was livid! I had her up about the student debacle and spoke to my head about the mess with streaming. Unfortunately my head seems to be dazzled by her AST title and nobody can say a damning word about her. Over the final months before going off on maternity leave it got worse! She was constantly out of class to do something or other (usually involving a lovely organised folder!) and always managed to get out of duties the rest of us were expected to do. She was put in charge of leading Irresistable Learning but would not consult me on anything even though it was going to a massive impact on Literacy. Other Subject Leaders felt the same but again nobody wanted to say anything to her becasue our head kisses her ****! I decided to take the offer of leading KS1 instead at this point because of my imminet leave and she got what she wanted - Head of KS2. I was gutted but knew it was unfair to leave Year 6 with temporary cover etc etc. Then the dreaded O turned up. Lets just say when they arrived they slated the organisation of Irresistable Learning and that is when I went on maternity leave, tired, upset and generally feeling pretty miserable.
    I've now been popping in on KIT days and the situation has got even worse! All the Literacy working walls have been changed, everything I had introduced over the 5 years I have been there is now in the bin and my experiential writing approach to Literacy has been shelved for the Evolve scheme! I understand that things move very quickly in education and new initiatives come and go but some good stuff that was working has been completely binned. I wouldn't mind but Literacy results have been steadily going up whilst I was in charge and in Year 6. The poor Year 6 teacher this year has been messed around by interference from the AST and the results don't look promising. Everything she has introduced hasn't been well led and people haven't got a clue so here The morale is at an all time low and now the Head has parents requesting she step down and let the AST be head! If only they knew what was going on! Don't get me wrong she is a fabulous teacher when she can be bothered to be in class but she is power hungry and from meeting staff from her previous schools whilst on courses they have all said the same. Nobody likes her and she has

2. <font face="Calibri">IGNORE THE ABOVE COMPUTER WENT CRAZY AND POSTED BEFORE
    I'D FINISHED

Hi Everyone

This is a bit of a
    long story so I apologise now!

I am currently on
    Maternity leave and am going back to work for the final half term. I have been
    at my current school for 5 years and I love it. I was the Year 6 teacher,
    Literacy Coordinator and Head of KS2. Eighteen months ago we had an AST join
    us. She is a very good teacher and at first seemed like she was one of the
    team. However, within weeks of her joining us I found she was undermining
    anything I introduced for Literacy, she would talk all through my KS2 meetings
    and would follow rules through with her class (i.e. using specific doors for
    kids to use at playtimes, lining up at the start of the day etc.) which were
    health and safety issues. At first I ignored, just made reminders when I popped
    into classes, it but progressively got worse!

We unexpectedly had a teacher leave and a member of my
    own family covered for two terms in order to complete their NQT year. During
    this period I was signed off sick due to severe morning sickness and was in and
    out of hospital. I understand that when someone is off the Head needs to ask
    everyone to rally around and keep an eye on things but our AST seems to have
    read that as 'I must take over and change everything'! When I returned to work
    I found that she had streamed the year groups (we are only one form entry) and
    had kept changing the groups around so the other two teachers were very
    confused and then this had an impact on progress. She had shoved the two
    students she had been given into the NQT's (my family member) class which was
    absolutely unacceptable and she had removed all the prearranged topics to ones
    she wanted to do and the others had to do as they were told! I was livid! I had
    her up about the student debacle and spoke to my head about the mess with
    streaming. Unfortunately my head seems to be dazzled by her AST title and
    nobody can say a damning word about her. Over the final months before going off
    on maternity leave it got worse! She was constantly out of class to do
    something or other (usually involving a lovely organised folder!) and always
    managed to get out of duties the rest of us were expected to do. She was put in
    charge of leading Irresistible Learning but would not consult me on anything
    even though it was going to a massive impact on Literacy. Other Subject Leaders
    felt the same but again nobody wanted to say anything to her because our head
    kisses her ****! I decided to take the offer of leading KS1 instead at this
    point because of my imminent leave and she got what she wanted - Head of KS2. I
    was gutted but knew it was unfair to leave Year 6 with temporary cover etc. etc. Then the dreaded O turned up. Lets
    just say when they arrived they slated the organisation of Irresistible
    Learning and that is when I went on maternity leave, tired, upset and generally
    feeling pretty miserable.

I've now been popping in on KIT days and the situation
    has got even worse! All the Literacy working walls have been changed,
    everything I had introduced over the 5 years I have been there is now in the
    bin and my experiential writing approach to Literacy has been shelved for the
    Evolve scheme! I understand that things move very quickly in education and new
    initiatives come and go but some good stuff that was working has been
    completely binned. I wouldn't mind but Literacy results have been steadily
    going up whilst I was in charge and in Year 6. The poor Year 6 teacher this
    year has been messed around by interference from the AST and the results don't
    look promising. Everything she has introduced hasn't been well led and people
    haven't got a clue so I'm picking up pieces on my KIT days. The morale is at an
    all-time low and now the Head has parents requesting she step down and let the
    AST be head! If only they knew what was going on! Don't get me wrong she is a
    fabulous teacher when she can be bothered to be in class but she is power
    hungry and from meeting staff from her previous schools whilst on courses they
    have all said the same. Nobody likes her and they are all fed up with her
    controlling nature. Only now is my head finally starting to see what an awful woman
    she has employed. I have opted to manage EYFS now so that I can be completely
    out of her way but a part of me can't help thinking I have lost everything to
    this silly woman and I have been looking at other jobs. I really am dreading
    going back! There rant over. [​IMG]

</font>

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I think everything felt much more 'amplified' than it really was on the back of my pre and post baby hormones.

4. Was wondering how you got on when you returned? I am not the head of eyes but I co teach in an early years unit. My maternity cover has not gone down well...the staff have been to me and said how awful it has become because the two teachers are now arguing and my work is slowly unravelling. We had a wonderful inclusive unit...mix of sen and mainstream....we had put lots in place to accommodate and ensure all children got what they needed. I am dreading going back as they have split some of the class and initiatives which were successful have disappeared. How did you stop yourself from becoming anxious before your return as this is how I feel? Any advice gratefully received