1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed...Case of slapped cheek in school- am 35+5 do I need to be worried?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by cath1980, May 25, 2012.

1. Hi, there has been a confirmed case of slapped cheek in the Foundation stage unit of our school- I teach reception... I am 35+5 do I need to contact anyone? All of the advice online only seems to refer to before 20 weeks. Can anyone help? xxx

2. Katille

Katille New commenter

When I was pregnant with my second child there was slapped cheek in school. The advice given to me by my GP was there was no need to worry after 14 weeks. If you are concerned maybe ring you GP or midwife for advice. Hope that reassures you.

3. Cath I think you need to check with your MW whether or not anything needs to be done.

4. I was exposed to slapped cheek when I was about 28 weeks pregnant. I phoned the GP and they gave me a blood test to check my immunity. I was immune. They weren't as fussed because I was after 20weeks and I think it was done more to put my mind at rest. However, there are very, very small risks so I think it will be worth ringing your midwife or GP.
    Sx

5. Hi, thanks for the replies. Rang midwife last night as it seemed daft to be worrying when I could find out so easily. Was advised to go for a blood test on monday to check for immunity but she did stress that it was just precautionary and def someth that could wait over the weekend so feel better now. xx

6. figrowan

figrowan New commenter

Hi, its a risk of mc before the end of 20 weeks. Basically 60% adults immune, in which case I don't think they worry but not sure. (i wasn't immune) If you caught it at any point in pregnancy you may have no symptoms, so they'd re test a month later as it takes 20 days to incubate and then the antibodies peak a few days later. If caught There's about 25% chance baby would get - before 20 weeks its an increased chance of mc, (one in six or ten depending on the study) or fetal hydrops. After 20 weeks the risk of mc drops dramatically its just the hydrops but this is very easily treated - and it sounds as if you may pop before this could happen anyway! At that stage of gestation I don't think there would be much too worry about. Worst case scenario is a blood transfusion. It is important that other pregnant women seek advice though - I've been off 5 weeks and looking like I may have to be off another 4, though I'm hoping to arrange work off site, paper work etc. I'm now 14 weeks. I was told worst time for increased mc is between 9 and 14 weeks. All the best but definately don't worry at this stage.