1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed - application. Please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Miss behavin!, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I'm currentlyin the process of applying for a TLR position to manage my year group. In my vision statement I need to say how I will improve teaching and learning to outstanding; improve behaviour and safety to outstanding,; how I will lead and manage my area and how I will increase standards and progress to outstanding.
    I am going to start off by looking at excatly what ofsted defines as outstanding in these areas....and I have written some notes on how my lessons have improved considerably this year - had a number of good/outstandings.....but was wondering if anyone can give me some more tips? Haven't been given much more info than this and this is my first management application...feel a little lost!
    I'm really not asking for anyone to write it - just any advice and tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

2. Hello!
    I'm currentlyin the process of applying for a TLR position to manage my year group. In my vision statement I need to say how I will improve teaching and learning to outstanding; improve behaviour and safety to outstanding,; how I will lead and manage my area and how I will increase standards and progress to outstanding.
    I am going to start off by looking at excatly what ofsted defines as outstanding in these areas....and I have written some notes on how my lessons have improved considerably this year - had a number of good/outstandings.....but was wondering if anyone can give me some more tips? Haven't been given much more info than this and this is my first management application...feel a little lost!
    I'm really not asking for anyone to write it - just any advice and tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Some ideas, some may be relevant, hope one or two help:
    analyse Optional SATs to find weaknesses in teaching/learning
    share good practice through peer observation
    encourage professional development through course attendance
    review work through work samples - is there progression in the books/is there extension/support?
    review planning, what are strengths/weaknesses
    build good relationships within year groups to develop trust and confidence in one another
    ensure policies match needs of the school/subject v ensure school follows polices (!)
    ensure appropriate work/life balance for all(!!!)
    use staff strengths
    keep abreast of local/national initiatives
    encourage range of teaching styles

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I think they are asking you to show how you will lead others to become outstanding, rather than focussing too much on your own teaching. You obviously need to cast your net over the whole of the year group not just in your own classroom.
    What management strategies would you like to see implemented to support teachers in improving behaviour.
    What strategies would you like to implement to ensure consistency of access to the curriculum across all the classes.
    In your experience as a class teacher in the year group, what is on your wish list? Can it be achieved?

5. Thank you. This really helps!
    Martin - yeah I totally understand. Wasn't planning on talking too much about my own teaching but was going to just touch upon how I've improved over the year and how I can pass my experience on to others in that respect.
    How about improving safety to outstanding? Spoken to a few teachers about this and they'renot sure either! Guess I would need to look into detail what constitutes outstanding child protection and other aspects of safety and see what our school needs to do to improve?

Thanks again!