1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed about my front door, please.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have got a heavy double glazed front door with a glass top half and a metal bottom half that was installed by Anglia. And before you say it, it is indeed well ugly. The bottom metal half came covered in something white which it now seems was a thin plasticised veneer. When I got back from a recent holiday, I found this veneer had been scratched off in places- no doubt by the tribe of anti social foxes that frequents my garden. I have now removed it all and have bare metal that looks like the metal used to make the bucket my mum used to boil the pudding cloths up in on the gas stove while stirring them with a wooden spoon. The door now looks like the entrance to a prison. What can I do to improve the situation? Can I paint this sort of shiny metal? I would appreciate your help. Waiting in hopes.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes you can paint it. You need a metal primer for the first coat.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You get primers and special paint for metal. There's a fairly large range of colours and finishes in B&Q.

I'm amazed by your tenacity in scraping off the plastic, by the way. Sounds like a horrid job!

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thanks, both of you. I hope the paint isn't runny though. I'll go to B&Q tomorrow and see what they've got.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Do it quick before the weather sets in proper for the winter

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Use a zinc based primer after very lightly abraiding the surface then Finnegans metal gloss paint (colours are limited).

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thanks for this advice. What should I lightly abrade the surface with, lexus? Perhaps I should leave it for the foxes to abrade for me.:(

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And before your local B&Q closes.

9. Duke of York

Wet and dry. Everyone knows what that is, don't they? If you ask for it in B&Q, someone will point you in the right direction.

Wet and dry is an abrasive paper that can either be used wet or dry. The advantage of using it wet is that the abrasive particles don't get clogged. It comes in various grit sizes, the finer ones being more suited to achieving high gloss finishes. In the case of your door, all you are hoping to achieve is a "key" on the metal for the paint to hang onto, so 400 grit will be best. There's no point is using a finer grit. (The higher the grit size number, the finer the grit, so for example, 800 grit is a lot finer than 400)

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thank you, DoY, (or should that be DiY?). Do I need to wear goggles? I don't want to exacerbate my blepharitis with all that grit.

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You could use Hammerite

12. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If it is galvanised then you need to use an etching primer.

13. Duke of York

It occurs to me that you could save yourself a lot of trouble by getting Banksy to turn your door into a political statement, then flog it to the highest bidder, earning enough to buy a new door, a skinful and a meal out.

Although they claim that Banksy is anonymous, he's easy to locate. He lives in the house with no bleedin' graffiti on it.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Is it an old door? I thought Anglia had 10 year guarantees. o_O

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And so they do. The door is older than 10. Surely that doesn't mean it should be worn out. If that were the case I should be well dead by now.

needabreak likes this.
  16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice. I shall print off this thread and take it to B&Q, making sure, as racroesus suggested, that it is still open (B&Q, not the door).

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A fine grade emery paper or block, you only need the lightest of touches and wipe down with white spirit after, then paint.

18. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Don't do any of the above.

Remove the beading around the edges of the damaged panel, remove the panel and measure it for thickness and width and length. Get a piece of pvc of the same thickness cut to size and fit that. You can clear mastic round it to bed it in. Replace the beading. Wipe it down and put the kettle on.

Or, put the kettle on a ring a double glazing company.

You can get panels in all colours.

Foxes can scratch them to their delight.

19. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

20. Duke of York

They'd think all their birthdays had come at once.