1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed about level 3 'developing' in maths

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by spandangly, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Hi there

I need some advice please! My daughter was assessed as being at a level 3 last year in maths (at the end of year 2). We have just received her school report and she has been assessed as 'developing' at level 3. The levels that her school have chosen to work on are:

Entering

Developing

Secure

Exceeding

I can only guess that she started off as 'entering' in year 3. Surely she should be 'secure' by now (as 2 sub-levels of progress are normally expected)?

Should I be worried about how much progress she has made or is this ok? I was a teaching assistant until a year ago, so I only know how the old levels (3c, 3b, 3a etc) work!

2. I would say that this means she has not achieved the age related expectation for a Year 3 (not level 3) in maths.

She has just started a new Curriculum where there is a greater demand on the independence of the children and must demonstrate that they can achieve most of the age related expectations.

Check with the school what she needs to do show more independence - i would then support her to develop that over the Summer.

No-one knows what progress looks like yet - not even the DFE.