1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed about a bullying head teacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Riri5, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Your message is dated 2010, but I was wondering if there are some more recent outcomes of your story.
    Is the Head now on "stress" and living abroad?
    The description of your Headteacher corresponds to the one I am going to speak about.
    So, I really feel for you...and for all the kids that come back home with such a poor image of the education system at this specific school (infant).

The Headteacher at my kid's school is such a bully! It is unreal!!
    For example, parents are not allowed to:
    - say hello to her (except the few "mates" of hers). She would ignore you or frown (depending on the moon I suppose!)
    - speak about the school, even if the name of the school is not mentioned, on social networks, facebook, etc... (how legal is that?) . How much time does she spend checking this?
    - communicate directly with the "Friends of ....school" (only through messages with the secretary)
    - query why the kids have issues. We are now at the end of the year, and at last, some parents had the joy of discovering that the homework at this infant school was not marked because ....the kids were not putting their homework in the plastic box for the teacher to collect.
    - query that if a ICT course is given with 48 hours notice, this is only available to the first 8 parents, there will be no more courses. And if we moan, we may never have one anymore!

School system can work only if the 3 elements are there and in phase: parents, kids and teachers. The head is supposed to co-ordinate all of it . If she can't, then she has to ask for help from the governors or decline from her position. Why does our Headteacher keep wanting to be the only person in charge, when decisions to be taken become "no decision" at all, when meeting the parents become too much for her?

Thanks for any information on how to react & to protect ourselves from such bullying (legal option preferred!)?

2. Your message is dated 2010, but I was wondering if there are some more recent outcomes of your story.
    Is the Head now on "stress" and living abroad?
    The description of your Headteacher corresponds to the one I am going to speak about.
    So, I really feel for you...and for all the kids that come back home with such a poor image of the education system at this specific school (infant).

The Headteacher at my kid's school is such a bully! It is unreal!!

For example, parents are not allowed to say hello to her (except the few "mates" of hers). She would ignore you or frown (depending on the moon I suppose!)
    It is forbidden to speak about the school, even if the name of the school is not mentioned, on social networks, facebook, etc... (how legal is that?) . How much time does she spend checking this?
    It is absolutely impossible to communicate directly with the "Friends of ....school" (only through messages with the secretary), just in case they could help with some queries...
    There is no follow up on parents' query such as homework or the way they teach maths. We are now at the end of the year, and at last, some parents had the joy of discovering that the homework at this infant school was not marked because ....the kids were not putting their homework in the plastic box for the teacher to collect.
    The last example is typical: parents had a query because a ICT course was given with 48 hours notice, only available to the first 8 parents. We have been told that if we moan, we may never have one anymore!

School system can work only if the 3 elements are there and in phase: parents, kids and teachers. The head is supposed to co-ordinate all of it . If she can't, then she has to ask for help from the governors or decline from her position. Why does our Headteacher keep wanting to be the only person in charge, when decisions to be taken become "no decision" at all, when meeting the parents become too much for her?

Thanks for any information on how to react & to protect ourselves from such bullying (legal option preferred!)?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

The OP hasn't posted anything else on TES since this thread in 2010 so unfortunately I doubt you'll get an answer to that question.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Because they are ultimately where the buck stops.

5. Yes... however, she has not arrived there by herself!!
    The bullying is so horrid that people are scared to speak about her. I have managed to speak to a mum who said to me: we have left, that was getting too much. Now, 3 families have left the village and we are going to be the 4th, in the same year, for the same teacher. Another one is leaving next year. Mind you, at least, they took the decision themselves. For us, we tried to "query" why the homework was not marked, etc... Then, with no answers after 6months, I have asked to start a complaint procedure (which they did not have, so had to wait to receive the forms). their 1st step is to speak to the teacher. So I did at the parent's consultations, one of my concern was that as bullied by the Head, I'd prefer avoiding a confrontation. Guess what: just received a letter saying that either I come to speak to the Head, or I drop the queries and move to another school. She has sent us the form from the Council...and pretend to have checked through a protocol, and found out that we had approached a school earlier on and to go there then as they have a space.
    I was wondering how much information she has access to?
    What kind of guidelines are there if she wants me to drop the normal course of the complaint procedure?

The 2nd thing discovered today is that the teacher has questioned my child re. one query, during school on Friday. I am wondering if this is legal?

People are so scared! Happy to have my child moved asap before big problems happen!
    Can the Council takes this in charge and facilitates the move- can't wait next year.
    And this is when the buck stops.... for sure!!!

Thanks for any information.

6. anonymous = coward. If you think it's wrong stand up and be counted. Stand by what you have said and provide the evidence.

7. Shout back.

It takes a while to get the courage but just like kids, those who dish it out out can't take it.

If you get accused of being unprofessional by the HT, you just say you were copying her example. And keep a diary, precise and non malicious for future reference.

It took me a long time to react correctly but oddly most of the time if you copy the same behaviour you experience suddenly it all stops.

Many HTs can't take it. Life in general. I knew of one in South Essex who cracked one day during a GB meeting. He thumped another male guvner over the head (this was 15 or more years ago) and then mysteriously left and got a job abroad.

Noone was meant to know all the students knew.

8. And keep a diary, precise and non malicious for future reference. It took me a long time to react correctly but oddly most of the time if you copy the same behaviour you experience suddenly it all stops.

Thanks for that comment and the vision of the guvner being thumped!! ahah. Just like it must be with the HT I am talking about.
    Wishing I would have known this before!

Yes, the diary is very important and it took me 6 months to realise what was going on.
    When I show the diary to the Teacher, she could not answer any of my questions.
    Now yesterday, the HT managed to move my child to another school.
    When I picked up my child, the Homework book, which was containing all the evidence, had gone.
    The only teacher there said that it had vanished. It was his last day.
    He is leaving as well! (he was twitting and that is not allowed)

So, here I was, looking in all the bins of the school with other assistants, and never found it.
    I was crying so much....

Then a text at 6.15pm: "your child work will be passed on to the new school".

My question is: why the work of my child is not given back on paper?
    My kind has the right to continue her homework during the holidays, isn't she?

By the way, Council replied to me that they are unaware of a "protocol" between school to allow HTs to exchange the names of families who have approached them. They ask me to go to "school level". You mean "riot level", right?
    Anybody experienced with this "protocol"?

9. I know this is quite dated now to comment on but I just wanted to add that parents are the real movers and shakers at all schools. Ofsted will now check all schools with complaints made especially those made by parents. You can now call them and make a complaint. At the end of the day without appeasing parents there are no schools; if schools agitate parents they remove their children and without children schools shut down.