1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed. A school has contacted me ...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by torchwoodfan, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I've read through threads on a similar vein, but my question comes from a slightly different angle...
    A couple of weeks ago I signed up with a supply agency - haven't been offered any work yet as the CRB check is still going through. At the interview the guy mentioned a particular school that is close to my home that he had recently contacted regarding offering them teachers on supply (they have never dealt with them before). I said I would be interested in working there if anything came up.
    In the meantime, this particular school has contacted me directly regarding a temporary short-term position they thought might suit me ( I had an unsuccessful interview there last year). I emailed the supply agency the next day asking them not to refer me to this particular school, I didn't give a reason. The supply agency emailed back and said they had already sent my CV to them.
    Where do I stand if I am successful with this temp post (the school said the would contact me soon)? Will the supply agency say they have recommended me and ask for a "seller's" fee?
    Hope this makes sense to someone? Would be grateful for any advice?

2. I've read through threads on a similar vein, but my question comes from a slightly different angle...
    A couple of weeks ago I signed up with a supply agency - haven't been offered any work yet as the CRB check is still going through. At the interview the guy mentioned a particular school that is close to my home that he had recently contacted regarding offering them teachers on supply (they have never dealt with them before). I said I would be interested in working there if anything came up.
    In the meantime, this particular school has contacted me directly regarding a temporary short-term position they thought might suit me ( I had an unsuccessful interview there last year). I emailed the supply agency the next day asking them not to refer me to this particular school, I didn't give a reason. The supply agency emailed back and said they had already sent my CV to them.
    Where do I stand if I am successful with this temp post (the school said the would contact me soon)? Will the supply agency say they have recommended me and ask for a "seller's" fee?
    Hope this makes sense to someone? Would be grateful for any advice?

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

If this were challenged by the agency the school can legitimately say they already had your details on file and were waiting for a suitable vacancy. This can be proved through your previous interview and relevant paperwork.
    It is not you who would be challenged but the school. They do have a genuine reason for offering you employment that is nothing to do with the agency. I doubt very much that a spec CV sent from the agency would actually contain your contact details, they are usually shortened specs with key experience details.

4. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Did the school say they wanted you from the previous interview or had they received your cv and contacted you? If they received your cv then they will probably be paying you through the supply agency, From my experience the agency sends cvs to schools that request long term supply.

5. Thanks very much for your reply - I never thought about your last point.
    Feel much better now!

6. One big bloody mess thanks to the profiteering agencies?

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You can be employed directly with the school as the agency did not introduce you. You introduced yourself there when you applied for a job there and were interviewed last year. The school have also contacted you direct, without the intervention of the agency.
    Hold onto details of your prior relationship with the school and you will be able to contest any attempt by them to have you employed via the agency or, more likely, their attempt to get the school to pay a finder's fee if they pay you via the LA.