1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed - 12 or 23 month working holiday visa - NZ

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by evb248, May 7, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I really need some advice as I'm beginning to get a bit stressed over visa options and as a result I can't think clearly. I'm hoping that someone would be able to offer me some sound advice.
    I'm 30, a primary teacher but I've taught at a school specifically for children with Autism for the last two years and as a result have experience in using TEACCH, PECs, Intensive Interaction etc. As I'm 30 it's the last chance I've got to apply for a working holiday visa in NZ. I would ideally like to teach whilst I'm out there. I understand that jobs are very hard to come by and if I wanted to teach in a special school, there are only 28 in the whole of New Zealand. I've researched them all and bookmarked some which I would be interested in approaching.
    I'm thinking of arriving in NZ at the beginning of October as know that jobs are generally advertised at the end of the school year. My dilemma is: Do I apply for a 12 month visa or 23 month visa? I would be too old to reapply for a 23 month visa once in NZ :-( Applying now for a 23 month visa would mean that I would have to pay an extra £300 for medical and chest xray. If I got a temporary job for the start of the school year they wouldn't want me to leave at the end of term 3 would they? However, if I got a permanent offer of a job I would have to apply for a work visa anyway as I can't accept a permanent job on the working holiday visa.
    I hope my ramblings my sense!!! If I was a year younger I probably would go for the 12 month visa and extend if I wanted whilst out there. However, in the eyes of the visa I'm now old!!!

2. Hi,
    I really need some advice as I'm beginning to get a bit stressed over visa options and as a result I can't think clearly. I'm hoping that someone would be able to offer me some sound advice.
    I'm 30, a primary teacher but I've taught at a school specifically for children with Autism for the last two years and as a result have experience in using TEACCH, PECs, Intensive Interaction etc. As I'm 30 it's the last chance I've got to apply for a working holiday visa in NZ. I would ideally like to teach whilst I'm out there. I understand that jobs are very hard to come by and if I wanted to teach in a special school, there are only 28 in the whole of New Zealand. I've researched them all and bookmarked some which I would be interested in approaching.
    I'm thinking of arriving in NZ at the beginning of October as know that jobs are generally advertised at the end of the school year. My dilemma is: Do I apply for a 12 month visa or 23 month visa? I would be too old to reapply for a 23 month visa once in NZ :-( Applying now for a 23 month visa would mean that I would have to pay an extra £300 for medical and chest xray. If I got a temporary job for the start of the school year they wouldn't want me to leave at the end of term 3 would they? However, if I got a permanent offer of a job I would have to apply for a work visa anyway as I can't accept a permanent job on the working holiday visa.
    I hope my ramblings my sense!!! If I was a year younger I probably would go for the 12 month visa and extend if I wanted whilst out there. However, in the eyes of the visa I'm now old!!!

3. jermar

jermar New commenter

Go for the 23 month, you will stay forever anyway![​IMG]

4. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

What she said... 23 month.

5. Def 23 month.

6. One thing to understand: the nature of 'permanent' jobs.

Many jobs in New Zealand are not permanent, but funded on a year-by-year basis as roll numbers are confirmed.

Also, most jobs that come up during the year are on a fixed-term basis. Some of these may become permanent the following year, but under NZ law you'd have to apply for your job back and be interviewed.

So some teachers have worked for years in a school, every year on a fixed-term basis.

Just something to be aware of.

7. Thank you all for your advice. I will apply for the 23 month visa and see what happens when I get out to New Zealand. At best at get a job, at worst I'll get an extended holiday but that doesn't seem bad at all!