1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice- Looking for a new job whilst on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by EBC, May 28, 2011.

1. EBC

EBC New commenter

I'm
    on maternity leave and due to return in January. The school have
    refused my request for part-time.They also want to move me to higher
    year group which will mean even more marking and all I wanted was to be
    able to spend as much time with my baby as I could after work.
    If
    in September I find a job in a school nearer to me or even a part-time
    position, where do I stand with regards to paying maternity money back-
    handing in notice etc
    I have to give a term notice in my school.
    Hypothetically: would it be necessary (better) to return to work full
    time, look for a job for Summer Term and give the notice in in January.
    OR am I allowed to hand my notice in, whilst on maternity leave to start
    a new job in January.
    Of course I know this is in an ideal world and of course I may not find anything but i'm just doing some research. I hope I've not confused you and made myself clear. Thanks for reading.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You have to find that job first - and to be frank, part time positions are a rarity, as is any permanent position at present.... so consider that before you do anything, especially now you have a family to fund. As you say you have to give only a terms notice - I am guessing you are in the private sector? - if that is correct then the school will have their own policy on time needed to be worked to retain enhanced maternity pay.

3. EBC

EBC New commenter

Yes to the private sector and no to any mention of maternity on my contract. I just wondered if I would be allowed to look for a job whilst on maternity, give my notice in and start a job in January.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

If you had an enhanced maternity package of some kind, there may be some period you are required to return to your post before leaving.

5. you willl have to pay back all of your occupational maternity pay if you leave your post within 13 weeks of returning to work or do not return after maternity leave if you had stated that you would be returning to your post.
    It's a lot of money to pay back in one go, so think very carefully. It may be wiser to return, grit your teeth and apply after the 13th week back.