1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice in Secondary Support Interviews

Discussion in 'Education news' started by janebostock1, Jun 14, 2020.

1. janebostock1

janebostock1 New commenter

I have been unsuccessful in another secondary school for a non teaching Progress Tutor. I get through all the initial interviews and tasks and onto the final interview with the Leadership team but for some reason I don’t seem to be able to be appointed. My feedback from the interview is always unfortunately you were just pipped at the post!
    Does anyone have any advice for me, I feel I come across confident enough and do a lot of preparation...
    Thank you ...

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Keep trying.
    "Just pipped at the post" is reassuring the first couple of times, but then you want more detail. Were you insufficiently confident, or too confident? Too assertive or not enough? Too nice to the kids, or too hard line?
    All I can suggest is to look at the job and person specs for jobs you've missed out on, and honestly go through them looking for any shortfalls. If you meet your co- applicants at interview and know who got the job, try to think about why they were preferred.
    Ultimately though, you can only be yourself. Have faith in yourself.
    Good luck.

strawbs likes this.
  3. janebostock1

janebostock1 New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think the probl
    Thank you for taking the time to reply to this. I think in reflection I have come across probably not as confident or assertive as they or even I would have liked. My nerves often get the better of me by the time I am facing the leadership team which isn’t good and something I definitely need to work on. I feel so passsionately about supporting the students and helping them that in my day to day routine I am the most confident and assertive with the students, it goes to pot in an interview....
    Thank you for your help I will indeed keep trying!
    Take care and stay safe ...