1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice Head of Year jobs

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Elaine77, May 14, 2017.

1. Elaine77

Elaine77 New commenter

Hi

I have been teaching in the Fe sector for more than 10 years and my present role is similar to a Head of Year at a secondary school. I have been applying for Head of Year jobs and my application form matches the person specification however, I am finding I am not even making it to the interview stage.

Can anyone answer the following questions:
    Do schools not consider people from the FE sector?
    Do schools only look at people from a secondary background?
    If I was lucky enough to be offered an interview will there be a micro teach?

thanks
    e

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that your biggest problem is convincing on paper how your transferable skills are pertinent to the Secondary sector. Many pastoral roles go ' in house ' and some go to folk without teaching timetables and some non traditional aspects of the post focus on knowing a lot about progress ( academic, social, personal ) / appropriate curriculum models / and working with and analysing data . Sorry cannot answer your questions but I suspect the reasons I have given may go some way to explain your lack of success. Other colleagues may be able to help here Re teaching - well I think it is key to understand how children learn / create a good climate for learning so I would think that any prospective Head worth their salt would want to see how you relate to the students and model good practice ...

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

What is your teaching subject? In many schools the HoY will have a teaching timetable as well, and so that might have some relevance. If it's a subject taught only in KS5, they may already have it covered, and with no secondary experience they might be reluctant to throw you into another subject. Adverts may well not mention subject, because there is usually some scope for shifting people around a little, and at this stage of the year there are still resignations to come in anyway, so they're probably not yet fussed about whether they get an English/geography/maths/science teacher.