1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice greatly appreciated.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by janeyann17, May 29, 2011.

1. <font size="5">Hi everyone</font><font size="5"> </font><font size="5">I would be very grateful for some advice. Last year, I started a Study Centre for Maths and English Tuition for 7-16 years. A series of Back to School workshops at the end of the School Holidays introduced the business. Since September to present, we have built up a steady student list of up to 40 students. During the holidays, we have had revision booster sessions and themed events such as Halloween/Christmas and Easter with a fun Maths and English activities.</font><font size="5"> </font><font size="5">This summer will be our first summer in business. When Parent's enrolled, the Summer Holidays were one of their main questions, in that were we open. We usually open two days a week, a third during exam time. I know if I opened the whole summer, it would not be viable in terms of uptake. Therefore, I have decided on three weeks as follows:</font><font size="5"> </font><font size="5">Monday 25th and 27th July 4pm to 6pm</font><font size="5">Monday 8th and 10th August 4pm to 6pm</font><font size="5">Wednesday 31st August and 1st September 3pm to 5pm (Back to School Workshops)</font><font size="5"> </font><font size="5">We normally open for 2.5 hours each day, with Students staying from 30 minutes up to 2 hours. During the Easter hols the revision school was 2.5 hours with a discount of only paying for 2 hours.</font><font size="5"> During the holidays, I have considered giving a discount for attending more than one day in the week and as usual a goody bag. (During the hols, I normally give the students a goody bag).</font><font size="5"> </font><font size="5">I want to promote the Summer School as a fun filled educational programme for the Students, to ensure continuity and progression. Therefore, I would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions you can provide on activities, pricing etc.</font><font size="5"> </font><font size="5">We work from a Church Hall that is light and airy. In the afternoons, the timing can be flexible on the last weeks session, as room will not be used for Stage School. The first two weeks, I have the option of extending only!</font><font size="5"> </font><font size="5">Many thanks in advance. Take care</font>

2. Sorry, don't know what happened to my post above. Re-submitted below for easy reading. Thanks

Hi everyone I would be very grateful for some advice.
    Last year, I started a Study Centre for Maths and English Tuition for 7-16 years. A series of Back to School workshops at the end of the School Holidays introduced the business. Since September to present, we have built up a steady student list of up to 40 students.
    During the holidays, we have had revision booster sessions and themed events such as Halloween/Christmas and Easter with a fun Maths and English activities. This summer will be our first summer in business. When Parent's enrolled, the Summer Holidays were one of their main questions, in that were we open. We usually open two days a week, a third during exam time. I know if I opened the whole summer, it would not be viable in terms of uptake. Therefore, I have decided on three weeks as follows: Monday 25th and 27th July 4pm to 6pmMonday 8th and 10th August 4pm to 6pmWednesday 31st August and 1st September 3pm to 5pm (Back to School Workshops) We normally open for 2.5 hours each day, with Students staying from 30 minutes up to 2 hours. During the Easter hols the revision school was 2.5 hours with a discount of only paying for 2 hours. During the holidays, I have considered giving a discount for attending more than one day in the week and as usual a goody bag. (During the hols, I normally give the students a goody bag). I want to promote the Summer School as a fun filled educational programme for the Students, to ensure continuity and progression. Therefore, I would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions you can provide on activities, pricing etc. We work from a Church Hall that is light and airy. In the afternoons, the timing can be flexible on the last weeks session, as room will not be used for Stage School. The first two weeks, I have the option of extending only! Many thanks in advance. Take care

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Could you build in some sporting activities, if you're qualified? Eg run to the comma, semi-colon etc. And plays/songs

4. Thank you for your suggestion hhhh.

The run to the comma , semi colon etc sounds interesting and certainly something to work with.
    Friends/Relatives have suggested the idea of introducing cookery- ie cupcakes. I do this as a hobbie, I would make the sponge cake as it would not be practical to make and the students particulary the younger ones can decorate the cake as a sort of stop gap activity.

Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Take care and thanks in advance.

5. You could build some 'murder mystery' or CSI days involving maths, English and science. Lots of clues, red herrings, group work and team-building. It would take some organisation but would really sell. Scope for lots of fun, I think.