1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice from those on the GTP please

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jennylouisebond, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Could any people on the GTP, particularly Primary, please tell me a little more about how the course runs in terms of your learning? How do you learn how to be a good teacher? With the PGCE you get a lot of university time and I'm just wondering how much support you get on the GTP, or are you just expected to get on and teach? GTP with PGCE would be my preferred route which I have an interview for but I think I'm feeling a bit wobbly and doubting my suitability. I know you are expected to teach right from the beginning which obviously I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about that, but I am happy about it. I just wondered whether you are literally just expected to go in and start teaching and how much learning time you get for your own development and how that is given to you? I do have lots of experience and despite my wobbles I think I would be good for the GTP, but I want to make sure I get the best out of my teacher training which means choosing the right course.

2. Could any people on the GTP, particularly Primary, please tell me a little more about how the course runs in terms of your learning? How do you learn how to be a good teacher? With the PGCE you get a lot of university time and I'm just wondering how much support you get on the GTP, or are you just expected to get on and teach? GTP with PGCE would be my preferred route which I have an interview for but I think I'm feeling a bit wobbly and doubting my suitability. I know you are expected to teach right from the beginning which obviously I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about that, but I am happy about it. I just wondered whether you are literally just expected to go in and start teaching and how much learning time you get for your own development and how that is given to you? I do have lots of experience and despite my wobbles I think I would be good for the GTP, but I want to make sure I get the best out of my teacher training which means choosing the right course.

3. Hi, I'm currently on the Primary GTP in Mantchester so should be able to help! In term 1 you're only expected to work up to teaching a 30% timetable by Christmas, the rest of your time is spent observing other teachers, developing your subject knowledge through research and d uuniverstiy sessions, and reflecting upon your own experiences. Your teaching commitments rise to 50% by the end of term 2 and 70% by the end of the year. Although expected to teach in term 1, I was givenalot of support from both my mentor and other teachers.
    You will also be expected to do alot of research and planning in your own time!
    Hope this helps...

4. I'm doing the Primary GTP in Stoke this year. I love the course! It's perfect for me because I had already spent a couple of years in school as a TA and was quite ready to get my teeth into teaching.
    The great points about the GTP is the extra experience you get because you're in school all the time. You get to build stronger relationships with your class and you're there in that first transition stage, right at the beginning of the year, so you're more likely to be seen as a teacher by the children. You have a mentor and a university tutor who both give you incredible amounts of support. My mentor in particular is amazing. She's constantly making sure I'm ok, assessing my progress and offering advice on how I can improve my teaching.

In the first term especially, you spend about a day a week at uni, where you get to talk to other GTs and share experiences and you can ask questions to help. My course also has GT support meetings where we go to just share our worries, concerns and successes!

At the start, you won't be expected to teach straight away. I didn't begin teaching until week 3 and even that was only a numeracy starter here and there. My mentor checks my lesson plans to make sure they're suitable, too. I'm now nearing the end of term 2 and I'm teaching about 60%. I still get at least half a day free time on top of my PPA time, for me to do my filing and planning (well, make a start on it!). There's no doubt that it's stressful, but any teacher training is I imagine!
    And there is the added financial bonus of the GTP - you get paid unqualified teacher pay of almost £16,000, which I know has helped ease the stress in other areas!

Whichever course you choose, there will be support. At the end of the day, they want you to succeed! Good luck x

5. Well done for getting on the GTP Jenny!! I have an interview with Chester for a GTP on Friday 8th April and am V nervous. We have to complete 3 tests english math and science - but have noticed they have only allocated one hour for them but am very nervous about them.
    Then we have a group discussion on a dvd. Then individual presentation on titles sent out in lettter, afterwhich individual interview. They have also asked for a portfolio of any expierence.

Do you have any tips for preparation?
    lIke you I am a TA and basically quite my IT consultancy role as i wanted to teach. Now im panicking about he itnerview and also worried about funding.....

6. Well done for getting an interview!! I will be doing the GTP with Nottingham Trent so the interview will be slightly different but I think the things that make a successful candidate should, in theory, be the same. My biggest piece of advice would be to smile, relax and show your enthusiasm. It is not a test. It is a process to get to know you better. Forget that you are being 'assessed' and just try and enjoy the process as much as possible.
    Enjoy the group discussion and talking with others. They are not assessing your answers as such so try not to worry too much about that. Contribute, facilitate and listen.
    Read as much as you can about, and surrounding, your presntation so that you fully understand what you are talking about and can be passionate about it. Don't try and remember all of what you readl. It will come back to you as most of what you read will just be repeating in different ways and so will consolidate your understanding and you won't need to memorise it. Obviously you need to try and memorise your actual presentation to a certain extent!!
    Revise BBC bitesize for your tests. Did they say what level it was? Unless you fail miserably most universities just use the outcome as a way of assessing your developmental needs.
    As for your interview, again be passionate and smile. Read as much as you can about different things. Don't try and memorise it all if you keep reading and comprehending it will sink in. My hardest question (for the PGCE interview) was 'Why do you want to be a teacher'. Because I had prepared an answer I really struggled as I couldn't remember what I had prepared. I still got on the course which I believe was down to my understanding and enthusiasm. For the GTP I didn't prepare answers. I spent a lot of time thinking about why I wanted to be a teacher etc but didn't try and memorise it. When I was asked, it just rolled off my tongue with passion as it was what I felt and not what I was trying to remember.

Good luck!!