1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice from teachers please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hayley24, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Pre-writing activties and mark making would be all I expect with regard to writing! And the basic skills you mentioned - coats on, shoes on, washing hands, listening and responding, sitting for a few minutes on the carpet and perhaps some activities from Phase 1 of Letters and Sounds. You have the right idea, your colleagues don't! I'm really not interested in whether the children can write their name when they come to me. Anyway, even if they can, we use cursive script so they'd have to learn it all over again!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think it is important to be able to write your name when you are just 4 or 5

3. I agree, I would like the children to come in with independent skills - toileting, coats, shoes. Being able to listen to others for a few minutes and concentrate on an activity. If they can recognise their name and begin to write then it is a bonus, but most of the time we have to teach them the formation again which confuses them!
    I would stick with what you're doing - gross and fine motor skills and lots of opportunities to see writing and make marks!

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I agree with everything the others have said.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think you may need to look at parents expectations which may not be based on understanding of child development and more on entrance tests for pre prep at age 4+