1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice from reception teachers to a Year 1 teacher regarding transition.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gracey3, Jun 16, 2015.

1. I am looking for tips about transition, things to do and think about to help the current recepetion class manage the transition to Year 1. Not really sure where to start I know visits to their new class I have arranged that they will come for a story a couple of times a week in Year 1 from now until the end of the term but I know there is more I should be doing. How can I best manage the transition?

Would really appreciate any pointers you can give.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would recommend spending some time in the Reception classroom. This will let you see where the children are coming from: what routines they are used to, what is expected from them, the balance of teacher led and child led learning. For a successful transition, you should try to make it a small jump from Reception to Year 1, and you can't do that without knowing what your school's Reception is like (all are different - some more formal, some very informal).