1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice from Primary Heads about Unseen Presentation!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by nomad, Feb 27, 2011.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Rest assured it will NOT be like appearing on Radio 4's "Just a Minute" where you are given a subject and expected to talk on it without repetition, hesitation or deviation.
    It will be 'unseen' inasmuch as you will receive the subject matter and preparation materials at some time before you are expected to make the presentation and I am pretty sure you will have adequate time to prepare.
    No one can tell you exactly what the presentation will be about but it could, for example, involve being given a copy of RAISEonline or an OfSTED Report or some other data and asked to identify key points. Now please do not assume that is what you WILL be given, we just don't know.
    See your preparation for the presentation as time-limited rather than "under pressure". You will be given exactly the same amount of time and limitations as all other candidates. Try to keep a clear head and bear in mind that undertaking this interview is your choice, not anyone else's. In other words, try to keep ownership of all this in your own mind.
    You can always start your presentation with the words "In the time allowed me to prepare this presentation I consider that...." Depending on the nature of the task, you could always finish with something along the lines of "I believe that a, b and c would be issues worthy of further investigation and more detailed analysis," hence showing what you WOULD prepare or investigate if additional time were given.
    Good luck.

2. You are lucky.
    At the last selection I went to, the "unseen" presentation was so unseen that we were not told in advance that it was part of the day!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I like unseen exercises - heads would do better to make the teaching part of selection processes 'unseen' and then there'd be less chance of the 'Help! Tell me what to do for this lesson' threads that litter TES.

jlw6 likes this.
  4. Thanks Nomad - just what I wanted and needed - guess I just needed a little bit of a guide of what to expect. Since I have never dont it before - feel like a huge fish out of water. I don't expect to get the position being my first ever interview at this levelbut do wnat to give a solid performance.
    Middlemarch - I totally understand your opinion and agree. I was not looking for help or questions, just a few ideas of what to expect. [​IMG]

5. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

Middlemarch: I had to do just that at my most recent (and successful) interview! All 4 tasks on the day were "unseen" ... and, from my point of view, this was far less stressful than having pre-interview tasks to prepare.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Oh, I know - I wasn't making a comment on your OP, just on the concept!

7. I too prefer unseen presentations/ tasks - shows your ability to think on your feet and under pressure.