1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice from experienced teachers...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Aug 21, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I have never had my own class before since (always had supply since graduation). What advice would you give me, or wish you had been told before starting out? What should I have ready before school starts again...I have my to do list but i want to make sure I am fully organised. Thank you so much in advance :)

2. This is what I did to prepare for my first day 5 years ago, and it hasn't really changed that much since then:
    * If it's possible, speak to the children's last teacher so you can learn a little about them and their parents in advance;
    * Get a daily / weekly timetable from the school so you know when breaks and assemblies are;
    * Speak to the school about planning formats, and get one if you can so you can start using their planning sheet straight away - I forgot to do this one!
    * Read a few of the policies (if they're available) but only the ones you think you may need soonish - staff handbook (if they have one,) school ethos, attendance, safeguarding, sickness, behaviour, homework, marking, assessment etc.
    * Go in to school and sort out the classroom - tables, resources, any decorations you may have bought, clear the cupboard of all the things you don't want / that don't belong to you or the school, make sure all trays are labelled so the children can see where things are when they come in. This took me 2 days I think, but I could have spent more time doing this;
    Then, I had my to do list, which has remained almost the same each year. It consists of:
    * Making a class list;
    * Making Long Term Plan;
    * Making Medium Term Plans for Literacy, Numeracy and topic.
    * Making a few displays - Literacy, Numeracy, Investors in Pupils (usually just lettering and a few pictures on Word, then I can finish them off with the children's work in the first week or so.)
    * Making timetables - Weekly, Guided Reading etc;
    * Sorting out spelling objectives and having an idea of the spellings I think they'll need to learn;
    * Sorting class responsibilities (after asking the children which jobs they'd like to do.)
    * Sorting out talking partners (after discussion with previous teacher.) These do usually change, but it's nice to have an idea of who you want them to work with the first time;
    * Welcome letter for children;
    * Welcome letter for parents;
    * Timetable for support assistants, detailing any interventions they will be doing, and when exactly they will have time for jobs etc.
    * Brief outline of activities for first week.
    * Relax for the remaining 4 weeks!