1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice from experienced english staff/hods/hofs

Discussion in 'English' started by emilie2007, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Hi all
    I have taken 2 terms-1 year out of English teaching to return to university to complete my MA (something I always wanted to do) and to develop my experience in pastoral care as I always wanted to be a HOY (am working as a non-teaching HOY). I have only been teaching for a few years and was Key Stage Coordinator for English when I left.
    I miss teaching everyday and want to make my CV as strong as possible for returning to the classroom. I also want to get my practice up to date. I have run an after-school bookclub, done some EAL tutoring and my MA is subject related. I am a member of NATE and will try and get to the conference if there's still time. What else would you recommend I do?
    Thanks very much for your time. I know some of you will think I should have never left etc but please, I'm looking for advice and a way forward here!

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

What exactly are you asking? It sounds like you're saying you want to be a HOY, but then you say you already are (non-teaching HOY)? Can you clarify?

3. Sorry that'll teach me to post half-asleep! I want to return to teaching, whether as a HoY or as a mainscale English teacher - not a non-teaching post. What advice can you offer that may help me appeal to HoF/HoD after some time out of the classroom?
    Thanks again

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Maybe marking/moderating? We're all struggling with the new specs and some examiner input would be useful in most departments.

5. That's great, Gloria, thanks - have applied to AQA for this summer. It's always a gamble choosing who to go for.