1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for writing an accompanying letter after many years!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by spamala, Aug 20, 2019.

1. spamala

spamala New commenter

HI, this is the first time I've written on this type of forum but after some advice!

I've been a KS2 class teacher in the same school for over 10 years and have decided it may be time to move on. I've been updating my CV but haven't written an accompanying letter for a long time. Any top tips or general ideas about style/ content would be gratefully received!

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Go through the job spec, and write a letter pinpointing exactly how your actions/achievements match it.

For example, you're applying for a post in a school which needs to raise results - you've had several years of good results, you explain how you did that.

Or maybe they're struggling with attendance - you can get the students in.

Don't be too long - a page to page and half is fine.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

And make sure that you cover everything in the personal specification, even if it is the usual woolly stuff. I would also, if possible, add some reason why you want that particular job/to work at that particular school.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

It's answering this interview question: "Now, Ms Candidate, we have several excellent people applying for this job; they all have the qualifications and experience we want, just like you do. Why should we choose you over the others?"

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Highlight your career highlights and your achievements over the years including the experience you have that you have acquired that will make you the perfect candidate for the position.
    Are you looking for a promotion? Phase Leader or Assistant Head? Do you possess any leadership experience over the 10 years that you have been a teacher?

As a HT myself, if I am looking to appoint a middle leader or for the senior leadership team- I am looking for a candidate that possesses some leadership experience and is ready to step up to the next role- I have, and I would never appoint a candidate for a role if I do not feel they are ready for the challenges that the next role would bring- it is not fair on the candidate who will ultimately struggle and not effective for the school either.

6. EBC

EBC New commenter

Good luck to Spamala. I think I might be in the same position this year so I hope you get what you are looking for.

Can I also ask, if the position is for head of year or middle leader/ smt... And that's why I'm applying as I want to gain that experience as there was no opportunities at the present school, would you put that in the personal letter?

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Updating your CV and accompanying letter for what purpose? Sorry if that sounds facetious, not meant to be. Just that unless you are planning to write to school on spec (or are writing to agencies) you probably won't need either of those. If schools are advertising actual vacancies that you are interested in they normally say 'No CVs' you must complete their application form. Their form will either include, or ask you to attach, your 'Personal Statement' , which is where you include the things mentioned above. Increasingly you will be asked to submit it online.

As already mentioned it's important that your Personal Statement addresses everything that is listed in the 'Person Specification' for the job. When selection panels do shortlisting they will typically go through the application form/personal statement of every candidate and score them against each of the Person Specification criteria so it's essential to address them all and include evidence. eg, don't just say "I have experience of curriculum leadership in English". That will score almost nothing. You need to give more detail - what exactly did that involve, how did you go about it, and what was the outcome in terms of raised standards etc.

When you submit an application form/personal statement a covering letter isn't needed other than brief "I enclose my application for this post that I saw advertised in... . I would welcome the opportunity to visit the school. I look forward to hearing from you." type of comments. Best not to include any anything else in covering letters as I've known HR people to remove the covering letter and only pass on the application form/personal statement to the selection panel if no covering letter was requested in the job ad.

Piranha likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

This is another thread where I don't understand why the original poster, @spamala this time, makes an apparently genuine request for help on a practical issue then never seems to have returned to read the advice given. OP hasn't been seen on here since asking the question in post #1 (not logged in at least). Sometimes I do wonder why we bother helping.

Piranha likes this.