1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for working with dyslexic students.

Discussion in 'English' started by samarrai, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hi,

I was hoping that I could have some advice on working with children with Dyslexia. Are there any techniques/ schemes of work that you would recommend. Or any dyslexia friendly resources (e.g. websites) Any advice would be greatly received.

I am a Primary Teacher but have started tutoring a 12 year old boy with dyslexia and essentially I wanted to freshen up my skills.

Many thanks in advance,

Anna

2. That's fantastic, thank you for your help.

3. A couple of ideas may include:
    Word banks where the students can select from various synonyms
    Placing words next to visual clues can sometimes help too
    Overlays when reading texts or different colour paper to suit the students - a pale blue was the colour that teachers were asked to use especially on ppts
    Cards or letters to move around
    Spelling of key words on the bottom of sheets (etc) so that students are not interrupted in the writing process
    Break down tasks so that they are easy to follow
    One of the books I used was:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supporting-Children-Dyslexia-Continuum-Hundreds/dp/toc/0826434169

4. Thank you, that is really helpful.

5. As for most children who struggle with reading and writing,
    graphemes with several sounds, such as -ine in 'define, engine, machine'
    and different spellings for identical sounds (blue shoe flew...)
    are particularly confusing.
    So it's helpful for teachers to be aware what the worst graphemes for learning to read and write are.
    U might find a quick perusal
    of the Sightwords page at www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk
    and some of my blogs helpful.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Having two dyslexic children myself and having worked with a few, you'll need to keep investigating which areas are most problematic for the child and then try some strategies to see which one works best for your particular child. Each child may respond differently, eg what works for one child may not for another.