1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for unemployable

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by missnet, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dear Theo, what advice do you give to those that is seems are unemployable? I have been looking for a teaching job for 3 years now and am no longer getting picked for interviews. My Trade Unions advisor told me it might be due to my age, I will be 40 this year. I have rang the unions simply because I had found out a much younger and less experienced person was picked for a job I went for.
    Over the last three years I did some supply and also had two temporary contracts and managed to complete one term of NQT induction. Supply work has been very patchy even though I enrolled with no less than 7 agencies! I have worked as a supply teacher for over 16 months and I got an extension from two LEAs in the area. I have been told extensions cannot be further extended hence I am not allowed to do any more supply. I tried to change to primary but was told by TDA this was not possible because they do not offer any re-training and because I already hold QTS. My subject is Business Studies which doesn't really apply to primary school curriculum. I spoke to two primary school heads who told me I would not be picked for interviews for primary school positions because I have not bee primary school trained. My LEA does not provide any training for those wishing to change. I thought of volunteering in a primary school as a TA or even trying to get a TAs post but on the other hand they are paid so little, up to £9,000 p.a. which is peanuts....Perhaps I should not be complaining as getting some pay is better than getting no pay at all...
    I came from a clerical background and have considered looking for an admin post simply because I can no longer support myself. I cannot afford to spend another year looking for a teaching job which I will clearly not get. I applied for three admin positions and got feedback from two saying I am lacking recent experience! I left my admin post 4 years ago to train to become a teacher. I seems I am simply unemployable and feel I have already retired. I am a kind of person who firmly believes there is a solution to every problem, but I am strugging with this one. What would you advise I should do?
    Thank you for your help.
    Missnet

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, this is a difficult post.
    Difficult to answer, and also difficult to read, as I do feel for you so much in your situation. I really, really do.
    I do not know the rules for supply and induction, but I am supposing that you have the correct information here.
    I do know that you cannot re-train for Primary at government expense, as you already have QTS. It's of little use me telling you that you can do a primary PGCE if you pay the fees yourself . . .
    You have no chance (I am being blunt here) of being selected for a Primary post: no primnary training, no primary experience, and above all there are several thousand unemployed teachers who ARE Primary trained and experienced, so they will quite naturally be selected over you.
    I cannot advise you on what decision you must make. John Howson on the Career Clkinic might be better qualified than I to give that advice.
    All the advice I can give is about applications.
    1) Sign up for the JobAlert here on TES to get details of every job going
    2) Don't ignore independent schools - you can do your induction there too. Go to the independent forum and read the information inside the Welcome thread. Do a JobAlert for them too.
    3) Ensure that you present your supply teaching as positively as possible. Some people present it almost apologetically. It is something to be proud of.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    4) Whatever job you apply for, inside or outside teaching, you need to produce a really good application, emphasising your strengths.
    Open the Welcome thread here and read the FAQs and shortlisting clickables, then follow that advice - posters find it works, Heads like it.
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    The benefit of an executive summary
    I am really sorry that I cannot wave a magic wand over you and produce a job. All I can say is: make sure you find out about all the possible jobs, and also make sure that you produce a super application.
    Best wishes
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.
    Look forward to seeing you then!