1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for trainees interested in entering Asian market after qualifying

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MrMedia, Sep 30, 2018.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

One of my trainees wants to go and teach in either the Philippines or Thailand after she has qualified. Should she go straight off or should she do her NQT first? My personal advice is to do the NQT as you never know what the government will do with the rule book. Better to get yourself free of the government meddling before heading abroad. Plus, I’m sure schools would rather a year's experience under the belt.
    However, that’s not to say I’m right. I haven’t taught abroad and so I am seeking second opinions. How sound is that advice of mine? Could more experienced overseas teachers adjust it to be more insightful and detailed? Should I encourage her to consider going straight off?

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

My advice is always complete the NQT/Induction year before leaving the UK. You never know when you may need it!

The best international schools can attract the best Qualified candidates and completing you NQT.

3. rowenamdialino

rowenamdialino New commenter

I have been teaching in Thailand for the past 10 years. As long as she has the PGCE or equivalent teaching qualification she should have no trouble getting a job at an international school in Thailand. However, she may have to settle for some of the lower paying schools (still more than 65,000THB per month, and with lower living costs in Thailand actually quite a high salary) due to the fact that the higher paying and "best" international schools have very low turn-over and therefore few jobs are available. If she is only intending to be out of the country for 1-2 years, there should be no problem with her doing her NQT when going back to UK and the extra experience in Thailand may help that NQT year to be less stressful. If she intends on entering the international teaching market permanently then not having done her NQT year should not be a problem as it is only a requirement in the UK. The better international schools usually require "a minimum 2 years classroom experience" but that can be gained in UK or Thailand or elsewhere, it does not have to be associated with an NQT certificate. My advice is, if she wants to go abroad now, she should. Whether in UK or abroad she has little experience right now, but she is still qualified which puts her well ahead of most foreign "teachers" in Thailand (many westerners teaching here are not professional teachers, merely native speakers with a BA or BSc and a TEFL, these people cannot work in international schools except as EAL support teachers but can work in government schools and English programs) and it may be easier to get a job overseas than back home. She has the bonus of travelling at the same time.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

If she really wants to make a career out of International teaching, she should first complete her qualifications and also teach at home for a couple years. International schools want experienced teachers and don’t provide the supports that new teachers get at home.
    If she goes directly without taking these steps, she will resign herself to cheap, low quality schools, possibly forever.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

If she just wants a two year adventure and doesn’t mind working in a lesser school for low pay, it really doesn’t matter which route she takes.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i havent completed my NQT, and i will never need to as i am never returning to the UK. it has never harmed my career, and i earn an embarrassingly high salary. i have talked to a huge number of international directors, principals and all of them being non-British, they had no idea what an NQT was. as long as they are qualified teachers, they dont mind. do bare in mind though the lack of support given, if you have limited experience.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Thanks all. So really I need to have a chat with her about what kind of plan she has, is it short term or is it longer term? Once she enters the crazy English system it is so intense she might not ever get out! Sometimes I find if you don’t seize the day you never seize the opportunity itself.

8. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Do the NQT year is a no brainer. Far lower choice and salaries without it. And returning to UK to teach far harder. I suggest 2 years inc the NQT year as a min. Subject matters for employability (maths english physics chemistry and DT highest to the mass cheap art, music, mfl, geography hungry hoards) but no decent well paying school really wants an untrained teacher. A pgce really isnt completed teacher training.

9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Do the NQT if possible. Yes, jobs are available without, and sometimes in very good schools, but it opens more doors. Also international teaching won’t provide the sort of support an NQT gets. It’s a matter of being ready to run from day one, often with dodgy back up.

Plenty of folks have made careers in International teaching without NQT.

But...how will she feel on returning to the UK after 2 (or more) years teaching and having to start at the bottom of the pile. And finding an NQT post might well be challenging if based abroad.

Really desperate to escape the UK…just do the one year.

10. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

I think I'd advise that she do the NQT year for a few of reasons: 1) as an investment (she will have access to a wider range of jobs in the future/she will find it easier to return to the UK if she decides the international scene is not for her); 2) for the experience: there is nothing quite like a UK comp to help you get your ducks in a row in terms of behaviour management/time management and general stamina; 3) many schools advertise for people with a couple of years experience.

11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

12. Suggs30

Suggs30 New commenter

Tell her to do the NQT year. I had a member of my team who didn't realise they didn't have QTS - they worked in post 16. It caused problems.

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

This issue has been discussed on the TES Teaching Overseas forum ad nauseam. Perhaps we need to bear in mind that "doing your two years" after your PGCE or BEd might not be quite so easy and many newly-qualified teachers pack in teaching altogether, as they find that teaching in the UK is not quite as pleasant as they had imagined it to be.

Therefore my answer is "yes" and "no".

Yes, doing your NQT year in the UK before leaving does make you a bit more employable, should you ever decide to return to Good Old Blighty.
    Yes, it is true that most international schools do indeed require a minimum of two years of teaching experience.
    Yes, it is true that on the whole it is the scummy and trashy schools that make a habit of hiring NQTs.

No, it is not impossible to get a teaching post in some international schools if you do not have your NQT year under your belt.
    No, you probably will not have any problems getting a teaching post if you teach Chemistry or Maths or Physics, but mere mortals like the rest of us might find it a bit hard.
    No, we do not always have a big choice and some NQTs may have to work overseas or be unemployed. Not much of a choice!