1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for teaching in Japan

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by RobLTownley1987, Jan 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RobLTownley1987

RobLTownley1987 New commenter

So a school in Tokyo, Japan have recently taken up references and seem very keen in interviewing both my partner and I. They're based 30 mins from Tokyo. I was wondering if anyone had experience of working in Japan. Is it a good career move, what is salary, cost of living like there. Is it a good place to save? Thank you very much for any advice/info people can offer :)

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Japan is an amazing place to live and work (especially in/near the Tokyo area). It is generally very easy to get around, shop, etc., even with speaking little or no Japanese (although knowing a little and being able to read some of the character sets can be fun and useful). Japan is generally considered very safe, especially compared to many/most industrialized countries.

The cost of living can be high but there are ways to minimize the damage (e.g. where you live, where you shop for groceries, eat out, etc.). Obviously the better the school/package, the better off you would be, especially as a teaching couple. It's hard to say what would be a good salary to shoot for, as much would depend on the details of the package (e.g. housing/housing allowance, net/gross, how is health insurance handled, etc.).

As for whether it would be a good career move it might depend on the school to some degree. In my experience/opinion, it certainly would be worth taking the interview and seeing what they have to say for a chance to experience Japan. Feel free to post or have a conservation if/when you get details on the package and I would be happy to give my opinion on the type of lifestyle, savings, etc. you might be able to have (IMHO).

3. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Hi @RobLTowney1987

Could you please tell me where both of your Japan roles were advertised?

Thank you
    M

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Don't forget, you will be taxed on housing and child places which many people don't realise. Is this the school beginning with N?

5. RobLTownley1987

Thank you, I would love to discuss more regarding the package, is there a way you can message on here other than on a thread?

6. RobLTownley1987

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

7. wrldtrvlr123

Hi. I have started a conversation with you. Try not to get yourself in more trouble.

RobLTownley1987 likes this.
  8. RobLTownley1987

I found them through recommendations from friends!

9. RobLTownley1987

Thank you what would you say the median salary is for a teacher working in Tokyo. The package seems very reasonable, although I would not know where to. Begin regarding finding a house and the likes.

10. wrldtrvlr123

There is a pretty wide range. The top school starts at around 7,000,000 yen per year plus generous housing allowance. I've seen salaries as low as 3,000,000 yen with no or minimal housing allowance (or shared school provided housing).

Rents will also vary wildly. We have a nice sized free standing house with a little fenced yard and two car parking space in an area outside of Tokyo and pay around 200,000 yen per month (well covered by our housing allowance). A decent flat/apt. should be less than that, but will depend greatly on location.

A decent to great school should provide you with some assistance in finding housing, settling a lease etc. If not, there are generally people who can help for a fee.

11. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Japan is a great place to work and live for a few years, very wacky everywhere, interesting, civilised, friendly and the language is fun to learn. The food is fantastic. Think London for rental prices and make sure the package has this covered along with ‘key money’, which is often non-returnable, and help finding a place! General cost of living is slightly higher than the UK so you need at least similar salaries to the UK to get by. Some things are crazy expensive, like skiing and using bullet trains.

12. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Lucky you!!

13. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Hi binaryhex,

Can you share how you secured your Japan job? Do you recommend any specific agencies other than the obvious search associates?
    Thank you
    M

14. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

Quite Even when fully covered the tax on housing and tuition can easily add up to £10000 pa

15. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Please may I pm you?

16. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

As i said a few months ago, really don't understand this need to value a package; it's Japan, the package will be fine.

If i had an opportunity there i'd just say yes,and be on the next plane. In fact, i should be paying them for giving me an opportunity to live in one of the world's unique and amazing places.

lifeinthe852 likes this.