1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for teaching A Level

Discussion in 'English' started by lottie1804, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hi.
    I'm a PGCE English currently 3 weeks into my 2nd placement. I've taught my first A level classes this week, which seemed to go well, but I'm struggling for ideas for future lessons with regards to acitivities and how to make my lessons not too samey, more interactive and engaging.
    We're working on The French Lieutenant's Woman if anyone has any specific tips, but any general advice/ ideas would be more than welcome.

2. Hi
    The same type of activities you would use for GCSE are generally suitable for AS level. Remember, they're only a year ahead. All you need to do is build in slightly more independence. So, with a GCSE class, I would give them extracts from the novel and they would develop character sketches/ outlines of settings etc. With an A level class, I'd get them to find the extracts themselves first.