1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for teacher looking to move to Middle East with son

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jereni, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jereni

jereni New commenter

There seems to have been loads of vacancies for science teachers advertised on TES recently, which has got me thinking about a move. And I would want to bring my 12-year-old son with me. But there seems to be such a wide variety of schools and agencies advertising on TES, I'm not sure where to start. I'm not worried about a sparkling social life - my priorities are nice kids to teach, a good school for my son, comfortable accommodation and a pool. Any advice on where to start please?

2. jereni

jereni New commenter

There seems to have been loads of vacancies for science teachers advertised on TES recently, which has got me thinking about a move. And I would want to bring my 12-year-old son with me. But there seems to be such a wide variety of schools and agencies advertising on TES, I'm not sure where to start. I'm not worried about a sparkling social life - my priorities are nice kids to teach, a good school for my son, comfortable accommodation and a pool. Any advice on where to start please?

3. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

See an advert - come back and do a search on the name of the school/post a cryptic clue on here for further advice..... then apply....

NB: Some schools do not pay fully for tuition fees

4. rosyanna

rosyanna New commenter

There are some great schools here where your son could be v happy. However, school fees are high, so you would need to be teaching at the same school where your son would go, and be sure that school fees are part of the package. IMO, it wouldn't be a great idea for you to take a job at one school and have your son in another and thus have to pay his fees. I am in the UAE and there are a few schools that would suit you [I think]. Without naming, look for schools that are non profit making and obviously English curric. I think that in Abu Dhabi none of the 'better' schools go through an agency now, don't know about Dubai.
    Socially, I think you would be better off in Dubai/Abu Dhabi rather than the smaller emirates/cities , for your son more than you!
    Most teachers here do not have accommodation that includes a pool - you would need to join a club.

5. jereni

jereni New commenter

Many thanks for all your responses. I've noticed that some schools do offer accommodation and free tuition, and I definitely don't want him to go to another school. The advice you have given me is spot on, thank you very much, it's given me somewhere to start my search.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Most teachers live in apartments. Most apartment blocks have a pool on the roof, and a gym.

7. jereni

jereni New commenter

Fabulous! I've forgotten what it's like to swim outside.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My apartment block does not have a pool or a gym. We do, however, have quite a few little things crawling around our kitchen...

9. jereni

jereni New commenter

Now that's grim. Any other downsides of working in the Middle East?

10. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

No they don't. You been at the eth?

11. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

My advice is get two very good bullet proof vests......

I wonder why I am being emailed so many jobs in Egypt and Bahrain. I am single so could risk it. With a child?????

12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

13. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Roaches are everywhere! Wasn't there a woman suing the hilton for huge sums in new York as bed bugs bit her daughter? Seems that banning the nastiest insect killers and more travel has resulted in pandemic of bed bugs. They hide in your clothes and follow you home or to next hotel. Don't forget loads of people have slept in a hotel bed!

Makes me itch thinking of it!

The Thais have a handy solution for cockroaches. Eat em! I saw a school expo where they showed how they breed em for eating. I looked at the tank thinking where the raid was. My class were licking their lips! Maybe nice with some chilli?