1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for TA interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by billiedavies123, Oct 12, 2017.

1. billiedavies123

billiedavies123 New commenter

Hi,

I have a teaching assistant interview on Monday morning for a Reception class. I have to read a small group of children a story and then engage the children in a short activity about the book. I only have 20 minutes to do this. I was thinking of reading the book called "the littlest dinosaur" and bringing in some toy dinosaurs as props and asking questions to the children whilst i'm reading the book such as "what do you think your dinosaur would do" etc.. and then at the end of the book asking children questions about the story and about dinosaurs. I don't know if this is the right approach, my other idea was to bring in some cut out shapes and as a group I could ask the children what shapes they think dinosaurs are and we could all make a big dinosaur together. As I only have 20 minutes I felt this may take too much time.

Just looking for a bit of advice or any ideas on the types of activities or books that would be good to use.

Thank you!!!

2. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

cogratulations on being shortlisted and I hope all goes well for you!

3. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Hello!! I come with news too. Good news this time. I have been invited for an interview too, and have to read the story 'Dear Zoo' to a small group of reception children. Basic resources such as storysack are available but have been told to be as entertaining and flexible as i like.

It's about animals in a zoo hiding underneath flaps. Does anyone have any ideas of how i could bring this story to life within 15 minutes? Something that will really engage them?

4. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

fantastic pickles, congratulations to you too! Sorry I have little experience with young ones, so can't advise...

pickles124 likes this.
  5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Fantastic news, well done both of you!
    billiedavies, I think 'The Littlest Dinosaur' sounds like a winner and the children will love the toy dinosaurs
    pickles - have a look at the Dear Zoo and Friends website. You might find something inspiring in the teacher resource section ... you could maybe cut out and laminate the animals, then stick them onto lolly sticks. Read the story yourself the first time, then produce the stick puppets and let the children help you re-tell it?
    Best of luck to both of you!

pickles124 likes this.
  6. billiedavies123

billiedavies123 New commenter

Thank you everyone! I am feeling a bit nervous but excited at the same time. Congratulations Pickles! Yes i agree with sushineneeded, animals onto lolly sticks would be a great idea or even toy animals from the zoo would really help bring the story to life for the children. Good luck for your interview!

7. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Bless you. And good luck to you too. Xx