1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for somebody debating wether to become a qualified teacher?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by dandixon123, Oct 3, 2018.

1. dandixon123

dandixon123 New commenter

If you could go back in time and choose a different career other than teaching would you do? I'm being extremely put off by pretty much every teacher I've spoken to telling me not to go into teaching. Why is their such a negative area around teaching? I graduated with a sports degree in 2016 and worked as a secondary school teaching assistant for the year and am now working as a primary school sport leader. From both my experiences so far I am being pushed more towards teaching at primary level.

2. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

You won't know till you try! You've had some useful experience and have seen something of how schools work.
    Perhaps the forum attracts those who are somewhat disillusioned (need a moan anyone? you'll find a sympathetic ear here!). Those who are engaged by the job are perhaps busy getting on with it!

3. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I love teaching. Go for it! You will need resilience, a strong work ethic, be willing to work long hours and even when you feel so tired you want to fall over, the ability to continue going until the end of term.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Definitely go for it.
    I love being a teacher and have had a long and varied career so far, and hope for another 15-20 years of it.
    There is such a massive variety of things you can do within schools and a huge range of schools, you'll easily find something to suit.
    Wouldn't swap it for the world.

As in all areas of life, those who want a moan are the ones who are most vocal.

Lucy2711 likes this.
  5. balletomane

balletomane New commenter

Another teacher who loves their job here. We do exist. : ) I work in a special school, and I really doubt I would enjoy teaching in mainstream, but as caterpillar says, schools are so varied that even if you detest one you might find just the niche to suit you in another.