1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice for prospective English teacher volunteering in school?

Discussion in 'English' started by mcartwright02, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi
    I've been working voluntarily in Primary and Secondary schools for the last four months now, and am hoping to start my GTP to teach English in September. I have about 2 months left of my voluntary experience and want to ask whether anyone, particularly experienced English teachers, and those recently qualified, has any advice for me. I'm currently in the school where (hopefully) I will complete my GTP, so you may wish to bear that in mind. The English Dep. teachers there are very friendly, so I've made myself a timetable so I'm spending time with every yeargroup (except KS5) and almost every dep. teacher, trying to support different pupils in each lesson, making sure not to tread on the teacher's (or anyone else's) toes!
    What should I be asking about/looking at/doing? I'm trying to find out about how the National Curric. translates into lessons, about behaviour management, and about teacher techniques and practices. Anything else?
    Any advice is much appreciated - thanks!

2. Hi
    I've been working voluntarily in Primary and Secondary schools for the last four months now, and am hoping to start my GTP to teach English in September. I have about 2 months left of my voluntary experience and want to ask whether anyone, particularly experienced English teachers, and those recently qualified, has any advice for me. I'm currently in the school where (hopefully) I will complete my GTP, so you may wish to bear that in mind. The English Dep. teachers there are very friendly, so I've made myself a timetable so I'm spending time with every yeargroup (except KS5) and almost every dep. teacher, trying to support different pupils in each lesson, making sure not to tread on the teacher's (or anyone else's) toes!
    What should I be asking about/looking at/doing? I'm trying to find out about how the National Curric. translates into lessons, about behaviour management, and about teacher techniques and practices. Anything else?
    Any advice is much appreciated - thanks!

3. It sounds like you're doing all the right things already. You could also get some experience of marking, particularly at GCSE, understanding the specification could help too. If you have a decent SENCo a chat to him or her could be invaluable. You might like to work with EAL kids too, but this is something that may well be organised into your training. Pupil persuits, where you follow a student around for the day can also be useful, although I found it depends on the student and the subjects they have that day. You don't say why you're not observing KS5, but this is something I'd recommend too, as there are some similarities but also huge differences with teaching in the lower school. Keep records of everything you do as you may be able to use it towards the standards when you start training. Oh, and getting involved in the wider life of the school would be great too, like a club or something.

Although I've suggested a lot, don't worry about doing lots this year, there'll be time for that later. Just enjoy you're time and get used to how schools 'work'.

4. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Good advice here. I'd go so far to say that if you don't offer extra curricular, you'll struggle to succeed in interview. Not that a massive number of teachers actually do EC, but it gives you a niche at least.

5. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

And whatever you do, don't read this: http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/2012/01/newsnight-and-dark-arts-of-exclusion.html

6. Darn, *your*, it's bleeding *your*. You 1diot Sir!